Class Projects Completed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rojo22

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I had the privilege of assisting Don Russell this past April up at the John C Campbell Folk School. He taught his beginning segmentation class, and these were some of the projects the class completed. I have pictures of two Tree Ornaments, a low bowl, and a pedestal bowl. I finished all of these pieces in between helping the students during the class. The low bowl is about 10 inches, and the pedestal bowl is about 12 inches in diameter and 14 inches tall. The Pedestal bowl has over 100 pieces in the segmentation work. The bowls are constructed of Yellow Heart, Avidore, Walnut, Bloodwood, Paduak, Maple, and several other woods. All pieces are finished with laquer and have a coat of Sun Tan Lotion for UV protection.

The purple ornament is Purpleheart, Holly, and Wenge.

The other ornament is a mixture of the woods in the bowls.

If you get a chance to take this class....it was a ball!

Attachments

• Ornament 2 Small.jpg
    Ornament 2 Small.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Ornament Small.jpg
    Ornament Small.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 251
  • Pedestal Bowl Inside Small.jpg
    Pedestal Bowl Inside Small.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Pedestal Bowl Small.jpg
    Pedestal Bowl Small.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Segmented Bowl Inside Small.jpg
    Segmented Bowl Inside Small.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Segmented Bowl Small.jpg
    Segmented Bowl Small.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 148
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mickr

the ornaments are fantastic..I have done segmenting for many, many years and am totally addicted..wait 'til you start making 800+ piece bowls..It will happen!! addiction time!!!

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
the ornaments are fantastic..I have done segmenting for many, many years and am totally addicted..wait 'til you start making 800+ piece bowls..It will happen!! addiction time!!!

Mickr

You mean like this one! This believe it or not was the very first bowl I ever did. Again, I am blessed to be around some extremely talented individuals in my turning club, and my turning mentor teaches this class up at John C Campbell folk school. They have all been very generous with their time and talent, and have been gracious enough to take me under their wings!

When the class is coming up, we cut segmented pieces for a week! I love doing the segmented stuff as well!

We are planning on getting a book out for the ornaments soon. We have the rough draft and stuff ready, just putting the finishing touches on it......

Attachments

• Urn small.jpg
    Urn small.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

jttheclockman

Ver very well done on all accounts. The more complex the more exciting it is to look at. You did very well on all of them. I am a sucker for segmentation. I do so badly want to learn. I just need the time. I think a segmented item is so much more interesting than a plain piece of wood turned into a bowl. Yes mother nature can supply some interesting colors but you can't beat this. I always stop by Malcolm Tibbetts site and just drool over his work. Thanks for showing.

mickr

yes, you are very lucky to have the mentors you have had..I have been working & teaching myself for half a century..no books way back then..no internet...you come to this at an amazing time when information is just a click away...Just to up the ante: yep your bowl is good for a first...but keep at it and you can design and turn something elegant...:):biggrin::eek: 800+ pieces..original design, 1/2 inch rows..classic shape ..:rolleyes:why gosh darn, I think I did good!!!! Keep turning & sharing

Attachments

• DSCN0709.jpg
    DSCN0709.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 109

Rcd567

Dude...just Dude, that is all I can say. Someday I'm going to explore this avenue. Until then all I can do is stare at stuff like yours in amazement.

Good work.

Top Bottom