Display Base for small carvings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larry in Harrow

This is something new for me. I don't do much faceplate turning but when a friend asked me if I could help him with a display base for his daughter as a Christmas gift I jumped on the chance (sort of).
He supplied a 12" square, 2" thick piece of walnut and a
9" diameter glass bell jar.
Having never designed anything like this before, the task was a little daunting. A wanted something a little classy but not overpowering, after all the carving will be the star attraction.
This is what I came up with.

1_Carving-Display-Base_Walnut-1.jpg

The final dimensions ended up being 11-3/4" diameter and 2" thick. I stuck the bell jar on it and placed one of my old carvings in it for demonstration purposes.

1_Carving-Display-Base_Walnut-2.jpg

I still prefer spindle turning (don't much like that heavy disk flopping around on the lathe) but this was a fun project. Here's hoping he likes it.
Any comments or criticisms are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crickett

How do you get that bird to sit still in the bell jar?:confused::rolleyes:

Probably glued it's feet to the base then when it ran out of air it couldn't fall over.

Turned out very nice Larry. I don't think there's any fear of you having to send it to Mack.

As least he didn't glue it's mouth shut!! :eek: :wink: :biggrin:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71260

Great looking base, Larry. I'm with you on the spindle turning. What's even scarier is when you have a bowl blank on the lathe!

jaywood1207

Crickett;1127040 What's even scarier is when you have a bowl blank on the lathe![/COLOR said:
[/SIZE][/FONT]

What is scariest is when it flies off, hits the ceiling and ricochets into your forehead. That's when you call it a day on bowls. Or at least I did. :biggrin:

Very nicely done Larry. How did you do the feet?

Carved Feet

How did you do the feet?

Jamie, the feet were all done with hand tools. I laid them out on the lathe at 60 degree intervals, cut the ends with my dovetail saw at an eyeballed angle (probably close to a dovetail angle) and removed the wood between the cuts with a #2-1/2 carving gouge. A little sanding and all done.

1_Carving-Display-Base_Walnut-3.jpg

View of underside of the base. Thanks everyone for your comments.

As for the bird, it reminds me of the "Dead Parrot" skit from Monty Python.

Top Bottom