Disappointed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I had higher hopes for this pen. I have made many Wall Street II pens from Woodcraft before and never had any issues. This one however is a Manhatten pen kit I got at Rockler. I thought they would be very similar and they are however the twist movement in this is very poor. Seem the parts want to come unscrewed everywhere instead of advancing or retracting the ink cartridge. Is this a common problem for this kit or user error? (wouldn't be the first time)
Wood is spalted Hackberry. Finish is 8 layers of CA and then Plastix polish.

Attachments

• Hackberry Manhatten.JPG
    Hackberry Manhatten.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 333
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

The pen LOOKS really good !!!!

I don't think the "problem" is user error. . Some of the newer versions of Sierra-like pen kits have more screw-on parts than the original kits. . Can't comment on the twist movement which you say is very poor.

I have been very happy so far with the Zodiac and Ellipse kits from EB which are similar in appearance to the pen you show.

tbfoto

Upon close inspection of the twist mechanism I see the end has some kind of lubricant inside it. Im wondering if this lube has stiffened up over time as I have had these kits several years and they are stored outside in my shop that can get real cold in the winter and very hot in the summer. I think I'll take the end of the mechanism out and try to flush out the old lube to free it up.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

My Rockler carries a lot of PSI which is nice. However, I haven't have great experience with their own (Rockler-brand) kits. It did get good reviews though. Overall, I have not had a good experience with Chinese-made kits. I am sure it is me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom