Didn't feel like turning...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GaryMadore

GaryMadore

So, I had a couple of days to fool around in the workshop but I didn't feel like turning (after the pre-Christmas turn-fest) so I made a couple of things for my kids.

My son (14) wanted a way to display/store his nutcracker collection for the 11 months of the year that they're not in the living room. I suggested a cardboard box in the attic (grin) but he wanted to be able to look at 'em. So, I planed and ripped some pine down to 1x6" and plowed a couple of dados and a quartet of rabbets and "presto" .... The bottom area is 18" high, the middle is 26", and the top is mounted 14" from the ceiling (the 3 foot tall cracker to the right of the shelf/box/display/whatever is on a dresser next to where the unit is mounted to the wall).... The little "tree ornament" size crackers are hanging from cup-hooks screwed into the bottom of the shelves. There are over 30 pieces on this shelf and it's full: As you can see I'll be back in the workshop as soon as he gets another nutcracker.... Doh!

1_nutcracker_rack.jpg

Next up, I decided to make a box for my daughter (13) - I promised her that I would make her one quite a while ago, but there never seemed to be enough time, or wood, or hardware, or whatever. Actually, the only thing there was enough of was excuses why I couldn't start on it. This is my first box EVER and it took me two days; it's a 1/4 scale casket that doubles as a jewelry box. My daughter is 13 and likes, um, "weird" things so she's thrilled. It's made of pine scraps (mostly left over from the nutcracker shelf project). The first photo is "in progress" and the others are with the 1st coat of (black lacquer) paint still wet. Inside dimensions are about 18" long x 6 " wide x 4 1/2" tall. Guess who saw this and wants one now? Yup, my nutcracker of a son has demanded one. I had a ball making this.

1_casket001.jpg

1_casket002.jpg

1_casket003.jpg

Things I found out while making this box:

1) I SUCK with a chisel (mortising hinges)

2) Lacquer paint takes FOREVER to dry in a freezing-cold workshop

Cheers!

Gary

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

Gary,

My skateboarder-dude 11 year old son would KILL (get it?) to have that box!!! Come to think of it, he'd love the hanging nutcrackers too. They'd make great targets for his BB gun...

Really nice.

Dale

JimB

Gary - I bet it felt great to do somethings for your kids. I bet they really appreciate your work.

Will your son put one of his Nutcrackers in a box if you make it for him:eek:? Is there anything inside the box?

GaryMadore

Thanks everyone!

Jim - I thought it would be funny (???) to make him a casket big enough for his largest nutcracker (3 feet) but then I considered the "morbid factor" as well as the fact that he'd likely want one for every one in his collection.... If I could crank 'em out that fast, I'd just go into the casket-making business! heh heh

Cheers!

Gary

TBone

Good looking work and it's fun to build stuff for the kids.

Reminds me of a truck, from a casket manufacturer, that I see often around here. The back of the truck has a slogan painted on it. "Drive carefully or your's may be in the next load" :biggrin:

Top Bottom