Delta 23-197 8-Inch VS Bench Grinder Price Drop at Amazon Today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Just to make you aware these grinders have been hit or miss when it comes to vibration. I bought one a few years ago from Lowes when they were selling them out. I returned 3 times and finally gave up. Maybe they have gotten better over time but you never know how old the stock is that Amazon is selling. The one big thing is their wheels at times have been out of balance which can give you the vibration so if you do get one, check the tool without the wheels on it first. As with all grinder wheels, inspect them before putting on the motor. Not sure the return policy of Amazon.

Side note we just built the second Amazon warehouse in our territory. Surprise they went Union or at least part of the job did. :rolleyes: They are some huge warehouses:biggrin:

jttheclockman

Which one(s) is more reliable in your opinions, please?

Tony, they are all made overseas and probably come from the same factory with different colored paint. Unless you want to get into industrial grinders such as Baldor (USA)or a Metabo then any would do. The Dewalt probably gets the better reviews along with the Jet. Wen is mentioned but too new for me to even know what they are all about.

The Porta Cable, Craftsman, and Delta are basically the same tool. I have the Woodcraft one they used to sell many years ago and it still is as good as it was back then. Those were the standard until they outsourced. They would always run sales on them. I bet there are more of those grinders in pen turners shops 10 years ago than any other. :)

To me the variable speed is not needed. Even for polishing. These are just my opinions. :)

TonyL

Thank you. I have two of the Deltas - so I am not on the market now, but was curious. I use them for skew sharpening. Thanks again.

vtgaryw

I'm pretty much done with Delta power tools. They used to be great, but along about the time they started selling through the big box home stores, price pressure obviously caused them to cheapen up their designs and build substantially.

I'm very happy with my Rikon grinder.

-gary

jttheclockman

I'm pretty much done with Delta power tools. They used to be great, but along about the time they started selling through the big box home stores, price pressure obviously caused them to cheapen up their designs and build substantially.

I'm very happy with my Rikon grinder.

-gary

At one time Delta was American made. Not the case now.

Herb G

I have a grinder my Dad bought back in 1986.
So, it's 30 years old. It's a no name brand, probably equivalent
to a HF today. I had to put a new capacitor in it about 15 years ago.
It's 3/4 HP, with 8" X 1" wheels. Still runs like a champ.
I think my Dad paid about $40 for it.

HF has decent grinders for about the same price these days.

Top Bottom