DC hose mounting solution to lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bnoles

Dario,

This just may be the "Tip of the Year".

What an excellent idea and I'm heading to the shop to get started on making one.

DocRon

Dario
I made one, and it works very well. I had some old aluminum gutter guard that I pressed into the end of the fitting to keep the sandpaper out.
Good tip. thanks

Dario

Originally posted by jjenk02
<br />Great Idea, but I think I will try something similar, but fasten the hose to the stand instead, that way you can use it while turning also.???

James,

I made a bowl steady (cost me less than $5.00) and will modify it so I can mount the DC there instead of my banjo.

Here are the pics of my bowl steady...I will utilize the top opening of the "tee". Not sure yet if it will work but I have an idea already.

2007124225127_P1030041a.jpg
<br />

2007124225154_P1030043a.jpg
<br />

200712422529_P1030044a.jpg
<br />

jjenk02

That will work, I'm going to use your idea and modify it a little. I will be using a 6" hose connected to my new ClearVue cyclone, I hope it doesn't suck me in. My head might fit, but the rest of me want[:D]

DocStram

I like Dario's idea of modifying his HMJ (Home Made Job) bowl steady to hold the DC ...... allowing me to use it while actually turning, not just sanding.
Question for Dario .... did you thread the end of that piece of wood to go into the black pipe? What's keeping it in there?

Using a piece of screen across the front of the vacuum hose? Who would have thought! I'm forever getting pieces of sandpaper, plastic bags, etc caught up in the hose.

Dario

Originally posted by DocStram
<br />
Question for Dario .... did you thread the end of that piece of wood to go into the black pipe? What's keeping it in there?

I turned it a bit bigger than the inner thread of the pipe...flarring out. I kept the outer part square, so I can tighten it with a wrench [;)]

It was drilled and the wheels are bolted in before I screwed in the wood. Vey cheap solution but works great.

Dario

I got the go signal today to use the pics.

Again these pics are by Bill Simpson and the original post read...

=============
I have seen fellows sending out pictures with in the background, the DC hose duct taped and clamped to light fixtures, roller stands Music stands studs pipes and anything you can think of to hold it near when sanding on the lathe. Well the other day I was holding the hose between my legs trying to catch as much dust as I could when (could have been loss of oxygen from breathing dust) a idea sparked in my worn out old brain. ....

A while back I got an idea about turning 3" PVC pipe couplings to a taper to fit the quick connect on my 4" DC hose (so I could interchange the hose from machine to machine quickly, and cheaply) Why not a quick connect and hang it from the Tool Rest.... You don't need the tool rest when you are sanding. All safety rules say to remove the rest when you sand.

Today I picked up a 3" PVC coupling and found the old jig I made to turn them , and made another , affixed it to a 3/4" dowel rod and mounted it in the Tool Rest Holder

2007126171748_DCforLathe2.jpg
<br />

Here it is mounted behind the turning as if to sand from the bottom, but I will most likely use it in front as I usually sand from the top. Whilst writing this, my little mind sparked another thought... (Multi-tasking ) I think I will affix some 1/2" hardware cloth (Rat Wire) across the opening so my sandpaper doesn't get sucked into the DC. (I loose a lot of paper that way)

Now both hands are free to work and the DC can be place close enough to gather the dust and can be moved all about for different sized projects.

Okay, just went back to the shop and cut a piece of wire screen a little larger than the hole and forced it in place, snug fit and seems to work well, will keep from sending paper and pads to the Abiss...

2007126171823_DCscreen2.jpg
<br />

Firefyter-emt

Just a thought to those of us who are not as lucky to have a DC yet, but do have a shop vac. It would be pretty easy to turn a "wide mouth" hollow form kind of thing that has a large (say 3-4") opening and tapers down to allow a shop vac hose to plug into it. I might just make this for mine! Should be easy to make from a chunk of firewood...

Dario

Actually, I've read about people who "accidentally" made a "lamp shade" out of their bowls and used it exactly as you described.

To those who missed it, you can accidentally thin the bowl so much at the bottom and make a hole where non is needed/intended. [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom