Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Modelmaker

Modelmaker

As an avid dart player, I had to make a set for myself

Here is a set of darts made out of Black Walnut

200846202652_darts.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tanner

That's a great idea. You did a very nice job! I lived in Palatine back in 87 - 89. I lived near Rand and Dundee. My nephew played baseball and basketball for the Palatine Pirates until he was a junior. I think they moved in 98. I moved out in 89.

Hey Kris,
Nice darts. I've made three sets so far... 1 in ebony that I sold at a local market last year, one in deer antler that I still have and a set for my daughter in cocobolo... I liked the cocobolo best.
2008473538_Kims.jpg

I actually won the one and only dart tournament I entered... I was at a British Caledonia Airlines party at the H&H Ranch country club at IAH.. I only went for the beer and got talked into playing in the tournament... lots of beer helped.. I still have the little trophy cup.

NavyDiver

Very nice work. How close are they in weight? Some of the guys I used to throw with made their own darts and would get them to within 1/10 of a gram of each other.

toolcrazy

Those are very nice. I need to make me a set. I used to be pretty good. Don't play much anymore, even though I have a board at my house.

Modelmaker

According to my grams scale they are within a gram of each other. I'll get to see how well they throw hopefully this upcoming weekend.

I'll definitely be making more darts, as a matter of fact I just ordered the 2BA tap and I'm going to turn my own hardware so I can get even more custom with my own designs

Sylvanite

Nice. I made a set for my brother-in-law out of whitetail antler. Everybody in his league wanted a set until they found out how much I'd charge.

I've weighted PSI kit darts up to 19g, but that took every last bit of lead I could put in the tube, including a bullet (I ran out of lead wool). I find that 18g is a more reasonable maximum weight.

I was a bit surprised to find that every darts player I asked reversed the point and flights (so that the pointed brass end was at the point and the ribbed brass end at the shaft).

If your darts come out unbalanced, it might be because the lead weight is not evenly distributed radially. Try packing in a little bit of lead (into the point end of the tube) at a time. You might also need to glue it in place when you've reached the target weight. I also measure on a reloding scale (accurate to 1/70,000 lb), so the set is pretty darn close in weight.

Regards,
Eric

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
As an avid dart player, I had to make a set for myself

Here is a set of darts made out of Black Walnut
Hi Kris; I'm just about to embark on turning a set of darts from Wenge.

Would you mind giving me your dimensions at the fattest part as well as the thinnest part? Thanks so much!

Anyone else here feel free to pop in an answer. I'll be turning the stock round while I wait.

Sylvanite

Mack,

I don't throw darts myself, but everybody I know who does wants darts as narrow as possible. Wider darts make tight groups harder. Although the traditional shape is pretty, serious competitors prefer bushing-to-bushing.

Then again, serious competitors will probably buy solid titanium barrels for their darts anyway.

Regards,
Eric

Nice. I made a set for my brother-in-law out of whitetail antler. Everybody in his league wanted a set until they found out how much I'd charge.

I've weighted PSI kit darts up to 19g, but that took every last bit of lead I could put in the tube, including a bullet (I ran out of lead wool). I find that 18g is a more reasonable maximum weight.

If your darts come out unbalanced, it might be because the lead weight is not evenly distributed radially. Try packing in a little bit of lead (into the point end of the tube) at a time. You might also need to glue it in place when you've reached the target weight. I also measure on a reloding scale (accurate to 1/70,000 lb), so the set is pretty darn close in weight.

Regards,
Eric

Eric,
I made a set from fallow deer antler, a PSI set and forgot to put the weights in the tube... like falling into the preverbial bucket of .... and then smelling like a rose, they all turned out to be right at 19 grams each without the weight. The two sets I made from wood, I had to weight and then did a couple of drops of medium CA to hold the lead wool in place.

Attachments

• 17-189.jpg
    17-189.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 125

gothycdesigns

I have recently seen the darts kits. How new are those? And How much could a set be sold for? Understandably depends on wood species too. But this could be a new porject for me.

Would you say $40.00 would be to high priced to sell? Just curious.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have recently seen the darts kits. How new are those?
Hi Ray; I have no idea how old these kits might be.
And How much could a set be sold for? Understandably depends on wood species too. But this could be a new porject for me.

Considering the cost of the kit, the blanks used, the fit and finish being top-notch, I'd be inclined to ask $75.00 for a set of 3.

They would be a one of a kind set. It is always easier to come down in price than increase if the demand warranted it.

I have recently seen the darts kits. How new are those? And How much could a set be sold for? Understandably depends on wood species too. But this could be a new porject for me.

I sold my first set to a local promoter about 2 years ago for $90. That set I made from ebony.

I also had an inquiry last week about a set of custom darts that I quoted at $75 per set.. two sets, but guess I was too high... the inquiry never came back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom