Damascus steel knife assistance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

A friend asked me to help him make a knife for his father. I've never tried a knife before and of course I said sure. I presented him with all of the wood that was big enough to make wide knife scales and he selected bocote. I think I did most of the work but it was a fun project to do with someone else. I could see that perhaps I was a bit more anal than he was about finishing so we stopped and here's the result. It feels great in my hand.

9924099D-3EBB-4E21-81E8-194A55B0F4A8_zpspwo1mocu.jpg

5E70FA39-4FD0-47A0-8B29-DFD2FFB20F18_zps4gxzyvgy.jpg

I think I need to buy a folder knife kit since it was fun.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

The "kit" was just the blade. I had the wood and some brass rod and epoxy. We pretty much used most sanding tools in my shop. I'll check with him for his vendor.

mmayo

I made another one for a friend

I purchased the blade from eBay and my friend selected deep red bloodwood. Here are the results.

IMG_2194_zpss3gfklqb.jpg

IMG_2193_zpstnf5eo8r.jpg

IMG_2192_zpsrxziipcj.jpg

IMG_2202_zpsiua2pp2i.jpg

I finished with walnut oil using MM pads through the stack. A little pens plus finished the effort. It feels amazing to me. It used a Worksharp knife sharpener to make it scarey sharp.

Last edited:

Skie_M

Looks gorgeous ..... Still have plans laying about for building a forge ..... but buying a blade and making the knife would be doable with my current equipment ... I'm going to have to look into this some more! :)

mmayo

A drill motor, bit, pins, clamps and the saw you already have are needed at start. I used an oscillating spindle sander, but a belt sander would be great. I used HF 5 minute epoxy and clamped thoroughly to be sure there were no gaps between the scales and the blade.

Great tactile rewards as you move from 180-400 grit and then migrate to MM and oil. It was a nice change from pens and plugs.

JD Combs Sr

Some great looking knives Mark. Just my opinion but if you are going to continue to make knives I would look into marking them with "your" maker's mark. I have made two, "Beauty" and the "Beast" and one of the first things I saw in my research on how to make a knife was that their value is much greater when they have a maker's mark on them. Most marks are on the blade but since you are using wooden handles you could start with a simple branding iron type logo applicator. You might want to visit and/or join some of the online knife forums. There is a lot of howto info for etching marks and for making and treating blades on the forums. A couple that I have join are "knifedogs dot com" and "bladeforums dot com".

In any case keep them coming, they look great.

mmayo

Thanks for your generous advice. The scarey thing is that this has proven to be fun for me and I will have to sell some to pay for my enjoyment. I will take your advice to heart. There is a knife blade vendor that offers such etching or laser engraving as you buy their blanks.

I include one of these nameplates on all of my tackle boxes
00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000001024_zpsdzecqcuh.jpg

Thanks again for the good advice.

Top Bottom