Closed end handles finishing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PapaTim

PapaTim

I had a eureka moment yesterday while working on a handle for a back scratcher (Christmas gift). Many of you may have figured this out long ago but it just finally cracked through my noggin yesterday.
When working on closed end handles, after parting off I've always found it challenging to finish sand the end to look as good as the rest of the piece. It finally struck me, those transfer punches from Harbor Freight we use to disassemble pens can be put into service for remounting the handle to finish the end. I matched the appropriate size punch with the hole size for the handle and mounted it in my drill chuck which I had mounted in my headstock. Push the handle on, slowly hand turn it to remove wobble and then fire up the lathe and sand to your hearts content. If you're using a finish you put on at the lathe, this is the time to do that also.
No photo of the back scratcher yet but I've attached pictures of 2 other items I've made with closed end handles.

Attachments

• CandleSnufferWalnuta.jpg
    CandleSnufferWalnuta.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 217
  • BottleOpnr_EnglishWalnut.jpg
    BottleOpnr_EnglishWalnut.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Good idea. I read on here a few days ago where someone mentioned using the same HF punch set to make various size pin chucks by grinding a flat spot and using a nail with the head cut off as the pin.

jttheclockman

Good idea. I read on here a few days ago where someone mentioned using the same HF punch set to make various size pin chucks by grinding a flat spot and using a nail with the head cut off as the pin.

Works well. There are other uses for those punches too. Such as for sanding the ends of a blank on the lathe.

csr67

+1 for the HF transfer punches! Thanks for the idea, and I'm going to use that soon. I recently made a set of oak handles to epoxy over my lathe banjo and tailstock handles. I hate the small diameter metal handles on the Rikon. They really work great, and I also made one to increase the diameter of my jacobs chuck key. Now I can finish them properly!

Top Bottom