Cutting copper/aluminum/brass on a table saw..??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I've cut these metals before quite easily on a miter saw, but I have a few blanks coming that I need to make cuts on using a table saw. I canst reveal the secrets of what I'm doing but some of you will figure it out anyhow I'd bet. Oh, and no, it's not a segmented blank I'm making...

If I'm using a standard carbide tipped blade on a Powermatic 66 10", I'd assume I could cut this (5/8" diameter) so long as I had a sled built that would safely hold the round stock.... and so long as I moved slow.

Sound about right?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I thought they made saw blades out of carbon steel?

Well, anyhow, thanks for the info. I have a pen that I'm working on in my head (intensely scary thought) but if it works, it's gonna be my way of saying "Goodbye, friend" for Eagle.

VisExp

Most blades are carbon tipped. I cut through aluminum and brass often on my table saw without any problems or damage to the blade. Make sure you wear eye protection.

That little ole Powermatic might bog down on you though ;)

btboone

Wear long sleeves too. Hot aluminum bits tend to land on your arms when cutting. I used to cut aluminum tubes for a handrail company. They had a mist coolant system spraying on the carbide tipped blade. It will grab if you let it bind at all. Be careful.

redfishsc

I don't remember the model number of the Altendorf at the shop that also had the old Rockwell Unisaw, but I do remember that the Altendorf was old as dirt but worked as smooth and slick as a brand new machine.

Is the one you use a 12" or 14"?

Top Bottom