cutting boards & other things

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from glennw

glennw

I was making cutting boards yesturday and I used the titebond 2 glue with the blue writing on the bottle for my glue ups will the boards be ok as long as the person that uses them does not soak the board in water. For simple cleaning they need to wash with water and then dry right away. Or should use titebond 3 glue, I will use food grade mineral oil on them for a finish. Also for a trivet(hot pot holder) What would you use to finish it with.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I used Titebond 3 or Polyuerethane glue for anything where the glue joint will contact water.

I like Titebond 2 and use it almost everywhere else.

Lee K

I have used Titebond 2 exclusively for my cutting boards .. been selling them for several years now, no issues.

True, they do not want to soak that in water. I also make up a little card with 'care instructions' ... things like vinegar or hydrogen peroxide to sanitize it after cutting meats, etc.

You should have no problem with TB2

Lee K

I like the idea of cleaning instructions thanks
what i did was use the business card template, print my business card on the front and three or four 'bullet' points on the back, keeping it real simple.

I used to hand them a sheet of paper, but that would get lost real quick, business cards are more handy, in my opinion.

glennw

very true the business card style is a good idea, I knew coming here to ask would pay off with good idea's

Timbo

Been making cutting boards for 10 years. We have one that's been in use for most of that time, that gets almost daily use, and shows no sign of failing. It was put together with Titebond II. I use Titebone III now only because it spreads easier, and has a longer open time. Your care instruction are pretty much right on. We use the same soapy water we wash the dishes with the clean ours...just rinse well afterward and set out to dry.

As for trivets...I use polyurethane as a finish. I don't make them such that the wood comes in direct contact with a hot pot. I use a slightly raised tile insert, so heat is not a real issue.

Last edited:

fernhills

I do not put any finish what so ever on trivets. I used 9/16" Ash on the ones i made, the grid type you make with a router table. Had them for about 5 years no movement at all. I think Ash is the right wood for the item.. Carl

TungOilTim

For me, I use Titebond III on not only my cutting baords, but all of my projects. I figure life is too short to cut corners on glue, and it's not that much of a price difference in my mind.

cnccutter

I use TightBond II for everything EXCEPT cutting boards. on cutting boards i use TightBond III because it meets FDA requirements for food contacted. when I sell i always have a bottle on the counter and talk up that point.

that being said, there are thousands of cutting boards made with TightBond II and they will out last the owners with reasonable care.

I too include a care sheet to help the board last as long as it can. Two years ago I started offering resurfacing of my cutting boards for the people that tend to abuse their boards. two passes through the wide belt and they look like new.

Erik

I would use original titebond(the best stuff they make if you ask me)as long as it will be washed by hand and not soaked at all.I don't like the other two titebonds they are junk to me.I would use poly glues if you are very worried.My two cents and others will think I'm nuts,but I have used many gallons of original titebond and it is great glue.Victor

Oh I have found that titebond 2 gets a skin to it faster then the original,maybe its just me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom