Custom double edge safety razors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jlaviolette

jlaviolette

After some experimentation I finally came up with a good way to turn handles for 3 piece double edge razor heads. I also found a great way to add a subtle metal tailpiece and add substantial weight to the handle.

Here are some recent examples. All are CA finished. What do you think?

Rosewood Burl
NgUMOFpl.jpg

Gaboon Ebony (black tailpeice)
usoWk7al.jpg

Cocobolo
X02OGwQ.png

Another Cocobolo
P1ZsEhb.png

Camel Thorn
kfiLdDL.jpg

Koa
YiZIvRV.jpg

Kingwood
vG0nAJO.jpg

Macassar Ebony
KUfY1i0l.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jlaviolette

I agree. Very nice work! Where did you get your components, and what was the process that worked for you?

I'll have to make a new instructable. I made one using a different head design a while back

I've since figured out a way to turn these on a 7mm mandrel using a 3 1/4" brass tube.

I get the heads from 2 places

The golden nib sells the heads pictured in the instructable. I personally prefer this head to shave with; but I hate turning the handles for them (treaded not a tapered press fit). They are extremely aggressive razor heads though so if you are new to wet shaving they are not recommended

The heads in the ones pictured I got from PC Woodcraft . They are a Gillette tech clone and much milder than the Parker head TGN sells.

panamag8or

Those are awesome, and thanks for the link to PCW.
One question... why add weight to the handle?
DE razors are supposed to be head-weighted, to allow the razor to do the work. I can see adding some wight to the upper end, though, if those heads are light.

Top Bottom