Crushed stone or powdered stone?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

Gerry, I haven't tried crushed stone but the powdered stone was real easy to use and I don't see any reason for me to try the crushed.

alamocdc

Gerry, I've never tried that kind of stuff. I always use coffee grounds or shavings and dust from a contrasting wood. I've also used shavings from PR blanks to fill voids if I wanted some color.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Gerry - I use both as each has value in different circumstances. For example, I recently repaired a Malachite Trustone pen (one that someone else had made). It had a small chip that only the extra fine crushed malachite would fill. For filling gum pockets in Aussie burls, I find that the fine or medium crashed stone works better and gives a very atractive look. Please feel free to email me if you need more info.

emackrell

Me too Eagle. Does the antler dust come out looking like inlaid antler, or is it more translucent than that?

cheers Eileen

jssmith3

I use the crushed stones and have also used the sand and the powder. I seem to have a lot of trouble with the powder and don't know why. I have also started crushing my own too. Its cheaper.
Janet :)

EasyGreasy

Crushed stone if you want the crushed rock look. And powder if you want the solid color look. I find the crushed rock looks better to me. Though I sometimes find that I have to sift through my crushed rocks to get rocks small enough to fill all the voids.
I would like to find some red rock. Does anyone know of a sorce of some red stone or even a red rock I can crush myself. Not pink-Red.

-Greasy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom