CRUSHED STONE INLAY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drcal

Drcal

I have been turing a candleholder today and put a stripee of turquoise crushed stone inlay on it. Everything I have read on the net says to use silicone carbide abrasives to smotth it out. The only silicone carbide I can find comes in sheets or strips. I need some hook and loop.

First---Does anyone have a better way to smooth out the turquoise?

#2 Does anyone know where I can get some silicone carbide hook and loop?

Thanks.
Carmen

aggromere

Carmen, i do a fair amount of crushed stone inlays. I always take it back down to even with what I'm turning with a very sharp skew. I usually do the stone before I am down to the diameter I want so I have room to take down the surface along with the stone if I need to. Sometimes it has a few little pockets were the stone didn't take and I might do another light coat of the stone and repeat with the skew. I sand with abranet sandpaper. It always has worked for me.

I don't know where to get silicone carbide hook and loop unless lowes or home depot has it.

FrankG

Turquoise is fairly soft and can be sanded with regular sandpaper - unless you're using big chunks. I generally sand to 250 before inlaying the crushed stone, inlay it slightly proud of the surface, smooth back to the surface and remove excess CA glue with a scraper, restart sanding with 250 again and proceed like any other turning.

Top Bottom