Crepe Myrtle Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from StatProf

StatProf

I got a cool piece of crepe myrtle yesterday from a friend/arborist. It is the base and it is about 12" diameter. The cool part about it is that the figure is awesome from all of the "nicks and stuff" from mowers and weedeaters that have gone by it over the years. I have previously had a TON of trouble with crepe myrtle splitting when drying, so here's my question:

Should I go ahead and turn the bowl green to final dimension, sand and seal, or is there something else I can do to keep it from splitting?

Thanks,
Kyle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
J

jackrichington

I have never turned myrtle...but normally one (if chooses not to dry before turning) turns it oversize, then tries to dry slowly...then returns

Kyle,
I've not done any crepe myrtle, but have lots of Red Tip... I've turned green oversized and then soaked in DNA for a couple of days, then let dry for a couple of weeks or a month, then you should be able to finish turning without it cracking... works for my Red Tip and Bradford Pear.

Fred

Kyle, Chuck ... I have turned many green bowls in my several years worth of turning.

I had several bowls split UNTIL I tried this method. It is yet another step in the drying process, but once you try it I will bet you a fudge ripple double dipped ice cream cone you will always use it for green woods.

Go here and read Steven Russell's process on 'Boiling Woods".

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/woodturning-education-articles.html

This is his MAIN PAGE and the information is down the left side for the link.

Do exactly as he directs and I'll owe you the ice creams. My failure rate is .00000000001% and I bet you I have cooked at least 200 or so bowl blanks. The process works well with green pen blanks but it doesn't take quite as long.

You will need a turkey fryer - or at least that is what I use. I got mine from Northern Handiman since Harbor Freight doesn't carry them.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200186224_200186224

All you need to add to the fryer is a refillable propane tank. The fryer kit is complete with all hoses and regulator.

BTW, Russell's site is absolutely full of additional information and is quite an interesting site to browse.

At least using your own fryer will keep you on the good side of the wife unless you sneak around and use her pots or pressure cooker. :eek:

Have fun! :biggrin:

marcruby

If you were willing to turn it thin enough so that it didn't crack and had the stamina to turn it completely in one session, I'd say just turn it wet. That's a lot more fun then turning dry wood anyway. Thin means pretty thin - 1/4" or less.

I just got really tired of one or another time consuming effort to get wood to dry right. If I know a wood will age correctly then it gets sealed and goes on the shelf to dry. Everything else gets sealed if I can't turn it right away and then gets turned in one or two sessions -- bagged in between sessions to keep it stable.

I lose some, but mostly I get what I want.

Marc

StatProf

Well, I went ahead and turned the whole thing last night. It's gorgeous, but I imagine it'll split on me. I turned it just under 1/4" thickness but left the base a little strong. I'll let you know in a month or so.

Kyle

Top Bottom