Pool Cue - Not finished, but progress

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woody350ep

woody350ep

I couldn't help myself. I gotta show off what I have up to this point. This should save on the extreme amount of pics on the final project later

It is glued up from Birdseye Maple and Afzelia Burl.

This is the last section of glue up, bringing it all together. The shorter section of Afzelia is the bottom of the cue
100_2252.jpg

Here it is roughed out and with my taper lines on it for my reference. They are every 3-1/8"
100_2258.jpg

Here you can see how I rough sized it. I broke the taper down into 8 sections and used my digital calipers to get the proper size, then sized the screw calipers and transferred that measurement to the cue as I parted down to size.
100_2266.jpg

Here is my only blow out of the whole project so far (I have JUST a little left to do on the shaft). I played this up as major to the guy I am making it for and made him very nervous. But, in all actuality, I expected this to happen and wasn't worried. This was eventually turned down to a tenon 5/8" with another tenon 1/2"x1/4" for the collar, which will cover the whole thing. Note where the blowout landed in the lower right of the pic lol. I spent a few minutes looking for it and then said oh well, it's going to be turned down anyhow. Then I saw it as I was going to continue, so I glued it back in to prevent further chipping.
100_2267.jpg

Here you can see the right hand side has been turned to final size. I took this picture for my reference on the steady rest I made for this project. I have been wanting to make one for a while, but this project demanded that it be done.
100_2271.jpg

This is drilling the end of the butt for the weight bolts and the rubber stopper at the bottom.
100_2271.jpg

Of course, I had to sign my name on it. This will be covered by the rubber stopper, but visible if need be :)
100_2291.jpg

Set up and got everything covered to protect from overspray. Ready for first coat of lacquer here. The blank was sanded with wet/dry to 1200.
100_2293.jpg

And here it is with the first coat of lacquer applied. It is already starting to pop.
100_2303.jpg

So as far as tools go, for this project I have purchased a MT2 Drill chuck, 25mm jaws for my chuck, a lathe bed extension, some calipers, and I'm sure there is something else that I can't think of right now. I also got 2 dies and 4 taps. All I paid for was the bed extension, and I will be receiving compensation for the cue when it is finished also.

I made the steady for the cost of a 1/4 sheet of ply, some glue, and a few wingnuts. I think it would've totaled about $7-8. The rest I had or "found". It worked wonders though. I watched the whip with it on and with it off, and it was astounding how it helped out.

BTW, how do you like my dungeon workshop?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grub32

LOVE IT!! I WANT ONE...Do you have plans?? If so, where did you find them?

Thanks for the posts! Its lovely!

Grub

GouletPens

Wow, you're not joking about a dungeon there!! Makes me feel like my shop is the 4 Seasons....

Sweet looking cue though. I too have wanted to build a steady rest, but haven't had the right project to kick me in the butt and get to it. About how much time would you say it's taken you so far?

CHICAGOHAND

jttheclockman

That looks really good. I often wanted to give it a try. But with my luck I would need to be playing with one of those 90 degree tables. My cue would have an awful bend to it.

Question, is that just the butt end and you still have to make the tip end???

woody350ep

Grub - No plans, lots of research and throwing things together. Lots of math too.

Brian - My dungeon is my lair lol. I feel at home down there. It's the one place in the house I can keep messy if I want to haha. The rest is something I have been wanting to do myself, and this was my kick me project for it. Couldn't have done it without. Oh, and its 21 hours not including finishing time, but I think I am slow also lol. There was a lot of research time involved there, along with some issues of figuring out process and stuff also. I have a Word doc with all my times. About 7-1/2 hours actual turning time. Blank prep, math time, gluing, sanding are where most of the rest of the time comes into play. I think I could do the next one in half the time honestly.

Rudy you better not get that lotion around me haha.

Chicago - I don't plan on ever getting into it as much as those guys do with all the angled inlays and such. This was a favor project. I have a few other potentials on it and if they want one, they will be dishing out $300 plus for one because of the time involved.

John - I need a table like that anyhow because I am just not good lol. It is just the butt. The shaft was purchased turned and sanded. I just have to put the insert in for the pin to screw into and the ferrule and tip on it, finish sanding and good to go.

Thanks for all the comments so far. I will show when it is completed what it ended up as..........good or bad lol

Top Bottom