Couple of Christmas Ornaments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Justturnin

Justturnin

'nuf said. Both hollowed out. Soaked with thin CA to stabilize from the inside. Finished w/ Gloss Rat Can Lacquer.

1st is Famin' Box Elder w/ Bolivian Rosewood finials.
IMG_2449.jpg
IMG_2450.jpg

Next is Aspen Burl w/ Texas Ebony Finials.

IMG_2451.jpg
IMG_2452.jpg
IMG_2453.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jd99

Hey Chris; those are cool. Are the very heavy? Did you hollow them out?

Thats a good idea I have a ton of misc wood that won't really work for pen blanks that my brother sent me, and I was just thinking what am I going to do with this.

Maybe I can glue up some of it and make these, thanks for the idea.:good:

Justturnin

Very Nice !!

Dave

Thank you.

Hey Chris; those are cool. Are the very heavy? Did you hollow them out?

Thats a good idea I have a ton of misc wood that won't really work for pen blanks that my brother sent me, and I was just thinking what am I going to do with this.

Maybe I can glue up some of it and make these, thanks for the idea.:good:

Hey Danny,
I bet some segmented would be awesome. Just be careful when hollowing them out. Maybe you could turn them 2 parts like a lidded box and glue them together. That is what I have been thinking about doing with some smaller pieces I have here. I hollowed them using a Sorby Micro Hollowing set I got on sale a WC over a year ago and these are some of the first things I made after making some mini HF's. As for weight, I weighed the FBE one at 26g so not that bad but the Aspen is a little heavier because I got scared and did not get the walls as thin as I should have. I need to pick up a thickness gauge so I get a better feel for wall thickness. The holes are to small to fit my little finger in there to check.

Absolutely gorgeous Chris, I have to say that I like the aspen burl best though!

E

Thanks, I also like the Aspen better. It had some cracks that I filled with epoxy and mica.

BangleGuy

I need a lesson on turning the spindly stuff! I tried to make a wood knitting needle for my wife out of a long FBE blank and that didn't work to well. I used HSS tools and sharpened them to a razor edge. Still had a lot of chatter and the thin section was riding up on the tool. What are the tricks to these finials?

firewhatfire

They are fun to make. I have about a dozen half finished. I need to turn the spindles. Our woodturners group does a Christmas tree of these for the childrens hospital to raffle off every year.

Top Bottom