Could this be Chestnut Oak?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I have handled a lot of red oak and white oak but this piece of wood seems different to me. Its definitely some type of oak but the grain seems a little tighter and not as porous. I have never handled chestnut oak, could this be chestnut oak?

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

No help? The grain looks like red oak, the bark looks like white oak (no red streaks visible on outside of the bark). Willow Oak possibly? Bark does not seem quite right for willow oak. Maybe it is just Red oak with some weird bark coloration.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm no expert on oak by any mean, but from what I've read about it, I kinda doubt if that's what you have. Chestnut oak is a type of white oak and it seems that one of its unique characteristics is a massively ridged dark gray-brown bark that is the thickest of any North American oak. There's not a lot of bark showing in that first photo of yours, but as best I can tell, it doesn't look like the photos of Chestnut oak that I've been able to find on-line.
Quercus prinus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No clue as to what else it might be though - sorry.

1080Wayne

Chestnut oak is in the white oak family , willow oak in the red . According to the best book I have on the subject (Identifying Wood by R Bruce Hoadley) , latewood pores are the most reliable feature for separating red and white oaks . In red oaks they are large , individually distinct and countable , whereas in white oaks they grade downward in size to very small at the outer edge of the growth ring and are usually so numerous and indistinct as to be uncountable .

So , sand a clear grained cross section to 320 or 400 , get out a 3-10 power magnifier and have a look , comparing it to reference samples that you are sure of . Red oak rays are usually 3/8 to 5/8 high , occasionally 1 inch but white oaks usually have some rays over 1 1/4 inch .

Within the two groupings , I think you have to go by the tree characteristics to determine the species .

if you have access to the leaves and acorns, show them... the leaves of the chestnut oaks we have in Knoxville don't have the shape of most oaks... more of an oval with a sawtoothed edge... the acorns are about 3/4 inche to 1 inch long, more oval shaped and the caps look more like a fur cap.. (unless I'm totally wrong and the trees aren't chestnut oaks like I think they are)... they do have the deep ridged bark.

Chromey

Cwalker935

I picked the wood up from beside the road (with permission) after it had been cut as part of a power line clearing. I do not have access to the leaves or acorns. We do have the occasional live oak so that is a possibility. A earlier bowl from a smaller piece of this wood had 3 very distinct colors white sap wood, a dark intermediate ring and then the reddish grain.

oak.JPG

Mortalis

I have some Elm that I received from my father some time ago that has the same bark characteristics and the interior wood grain and coloration looks the same. Very hard stuff. Can hardly drive nails into it.

Top Bottom