Correcting light streaks B4/after friction polish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

10scvol

I am new to pen turning and need some assistance. After I put the polish on the pen, I nearly always see some imperfect areas that I would like to correct.

I follow the steps as suggested by the Bill Baumbeck's video. Sanding from 220 through micromesh 12000. I apply CA after 220.

1. How can I prevent these imperfect areas? They appear to be "filled" areas from the CA, but they just don't shine like other filled areas.

2. After I have polished, can these areas be corrected?

Tom in SC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dmadis

Might be you are applying the CA at too coarse a grit. Try sanding to about 600 or so, then apply thin CA, resand from 320 or so forward. The CA is harder than most or maybe all woods and if you trap 220 grit sanding marks with CA the rest of the blank might get sanded but not the 220 grit marks.

KKingery

Rather than using CA, why don't you try a couple of blanks just using sanding sealer, and compare the final results. Sometimes, you just have to experiment! I usually apply sanding sealer after the 220, and again after the 400 grits.

gerberpens

Ken, How many coats of sanding sealer do you apply after the 220 grit and 400 grit? I have been using CA after 220 (like the BB video)but have some Mylands sanding sealer. I just wasn't sure exactly what step in the sanding process to use it, and how many coats to use. I do know that you sand with 0000 steel wool in between coats. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom