Cookie Jar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Finally got around to making a lid for this one.

This is the type of project where a vacuum chuck really came in handy.

Lid1.jpg

Lid2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerH

Wow, that is one outstanding cookie jar. I love the segmented effect on the body, and the barrel shape. What are the rim and base made from?

Looks totally professional, and the execution looks flawless. Great idea, and even better execution. Very, very nice.

W.Y.

Thanks all for the kind replies .

There has been an on going two page thread so far about that one in my own Woodworking Friends site on the Segmented turnings board .

In a nutshell, here is a portion of what has been discussed there so far.

It is 3/4" plywood and 3/4" pine for the segmented part of the bottom piece with purple heart base and collar. There are 171 separate pieces of wood in that one . The seven rings have 24 segments each.

The lid is hard maple with a purple heart knob. I made the base a couple weeks ago but just got around to making the lid yesterday afternoon.

It started out as a pot bellied bowl but was suggested by some because of its shape to put a lid on it to become a cookie jar.

That type of segmentation is actually easier to do than it looks because it is only basic segmentation with no time consuming feature ring like is often used in segmentation bowls and vessels.

That one was turned on a 1/2HP lathe . Goes to show it doesn't require a $4000.00 top line lathe to turn stuff like that.:biggrin:

Top Bottom