company logo pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

babyblues

I have an idea to make a pen with my company's logo and motto embedded in clear acrylic. What I'm not so sure about is whether the ink will bleed or run when it comes in contact with the resin. Has anyone done anything like this? I saw a pen somewhere that had the guy's name embedded under clear acrylic but I can't remember where.

Do you think I could just print it on regular paper? Or maybe try some kind of plastic sheet? Is there something I could spray the paper with to seal it before casting or would that also possibly make the ink run?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Go for it. Works great. You may want to read this thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22337
Look for Mona (Lisa)...you company logo should work the same. Just make the artwork in photoshop or scan it in, print on computer label, stick on a brass tube and cast away.
do a good turn daily!
Don

polarbear1

It took me some trial and error, but I have made over 20 acrylic pens with my company logo and the employees name on it. I first gave a few away, to the upper Management other employees saw them and ordered them. There is a big company confrence coming up Monday, with hundreds of people, and 5-6 of my pens will be there. I use cigar pen tubes, print what I want on an avery label, cast it in PR,and turn it into a pen. One nice thig is the shape of the clear acrylic is concave and works to magnify your logo or picture. So even if it's tiny when you print it, it looks bigger on the pen.

babyblues

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Go for it. Works great. You may want to read this thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22337
Look for Mona (Lisa)...you company logo should work the same. Just make the artwork in photoshop or scan it in, print on computer label, stick on a brass tube and cast away.
Labels!! Brilliant!! I never thought of that. Man am I glad I asked. I am definitely going to try this. One of the security guards at work showed me a wooden pen that had our company logo engraved on it. It was a roundtop european and it looked pretty cheap. I figure if I can make one cast in clear acrylic, that should just about knock their socks off. Don't know if anyone would actually pay me to make them one, but that would be pretty cool if they did. I love this website. [^]

its_virgil

I can't take credit for the idea.... Bruce Robbins has done more with it than anyone else. He uses (I think) the label that is full sheet size. That way you don't have to make the artwork fit onto a certain size label. When it is the right size he just prints it onto the sheet size label then cuts it out. Seems easier than hiting the artwork onto a small label.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by babyblues
<br />
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Go for it. Works great. You may want to read this thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22337
Labels!! Brilliant!! I never thought of that. Man am I glad I asked. I am definitely going to try this. One of the security guards at work showed me a wooden pen that had our company logo engraved on it. It was a roundtop european and it looked pretty cheap. I figure if I can make one cast in clear acrylic, that should just about knock their socks off. Don't know if anyone would actually pay me to make them one, but that would be pretty cool if they did. I love this website. [^]

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Don's right, I do use a full label sheet and usually print multiple copies of the art or at least a few different ones and cut out what I want to use.

A couple of other tips if you use labels...
1) Measure the diameter of the tube. One dimension of the final artwork should be ever so slightly larger than pi times the diameter of the tube. The other dimension should be just slightly larger than the length of the tube you are using. If the length is too short, you can put a black background around the artwork and if centered on the tube, it will look like borders. If you look in my album, there is a group of Sierras called "Artists" where I used this technique on 3 of the 4 pens because the artwork didn't have the right aspect ratio. The borders look better in the top and bottom than in the clip area in my opinion.

2)You can first print the artwork on plain paper, cut it out and see how it looks before wasting label stock. Something I have leared the hard way.

3) Before applying the labels to the tubes, insert a weight (some use BBs, others a bullet, I use cut off pieces of drill rod) and insert corks in the ends. If the label is just longer than the tube, it will help the cork seal off the tube and reduce the chances of getting resin in the tube.

4) Post pictures.

polarbear1

I mostly do cigar pens that way and there is no label the riht size -- the full sheets of labels work, I have been using the 2" X 4" because I have a template set up for it, but I may go with the full sheet next time I need some. I agree with the dark colored border on almost all pictures so it's the same color where the seems overlap

hanau

I have a company logo that i would like to get cast, i am willing to pay to get a few blanks made.
I would like in in the same style as the MONA pen.

If some one would like to help me email me and i will send the logo to you.

YoYoSpin

These were all printed on plain paper with an inkjet printer...the process works fine:
MyResin22b.jpg

MyResin19b.jpg

MyResin18a.jpg

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
pm sent
Originally posted by hanau
<br />I have a company logo that i would like to get cast, i am willing to pay to get a few blanks made.
I would like in in the same style as the MONA pen.

If some one would like to help me email me and i will send the logo to you.

polarbear1

I use the avery stick on labels. I tried a half sheet of a fed ex packaging label, but it came off in the resin. the avery seems to always work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom