Common size for pepper/salt mills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toyotaman

toyotaman

For those of you that make and sell alot of mills what is the best or most common size? What is the going selling price? I know it will be different in different places but a good idea will be alot of help. I'm waiting on my pepper mill kit to get here so I can try my first one. I hope to sell some in the future.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
I like the 12" kits. They seen to be a popular size for a family. Dep-ending on what kind, I sell a wine bottle type made from a baseball blank for $50.00 and a fancy one from cocobola for $100.00.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I sold 6, 10 and 12 inch, roughly $10 an inch as a guide.

On small mills, I also made regular cherry or maple--sold those around $50.
The bigger mills were usually laminated woods ---exotics often. ALWAYS used an American-made stainless steel mechanism. NEVER got one back in over a decade of selling.

Jim Burr

Banned
Ed has it abbout right...but some cool woods go for a better $$. Ask what they do for cooking...do they really need a 12" purpleheart wine bottle shaped mill or is a 6-8" maple monster more their style? See about knocking out a few for you and friends to get the hang of it. Nothing like a new peppermill for a move-in gift and honing your skills!

Personally I find the 8-10 inch sizes sell best in my area... also I only make the crush/grind mills so I can adjust the mechanism to whatever size blank I have to work with.... I price at +/- $7 to $10 per inch, depending on the blank and how well it turned out.

I've recently made a few of the new mini mills that PSI/Packardwoods sells, but haven't taken any to market yet so no history on the sales... they look cute though.

Top Bottom