Collett HELP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Put this ring behind your collet or scroll chuck. It will help you be able to get your chuck off easier. (Last item in the right-hand column.)

Hans (hewunch) offers the ring as well as delring bushings.

fernhills

You can use Tommy Bars, makes quick work of it. I might mention when you screw it on do just that, don`t spin it on and slap it tight. It works. Carl

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
MIGHT want to sharpen your tools too.

If the threads are tightening that badly, you are creating a great deal of torque (right word??) in the process of turning.

Why?

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have a problem getting my Collett Chuck off after I use it...I almost have to beat the **** out of it to get it off....Is there an easier way?????

Thanks
Hi Bob; Depending on the dia. of your lathe headstock, put a couple of "O" rings over the threads, then tighten your chuck up to them. The rubber will allow you to loosen the chuck. Cheap, easy, fast: pick two!

I've never had a stuck chuck since using them!

lorbay

Bob not that there is anything wrong with what these guy's are saying and I have used them my self. But I have seen a few professional turners and one of them being Lyle Jamison saying DO NOT put anything between your chucks and head stock. It just makes for another place for run-out.

Lin.

JerrySambrook

It just makes another place for runout to occur.
You should do a few other things first.
Clean EVERYTHING, (this means taking your chuck full off the lather and praying it
Lightly, but thoroughly oil all of the mating parts.
Clean them again. (the oil step in between will help to loosen up those things that the cleaner will not get to and let you know if there are any sticking/high spots in the system)

If you have dome powdered graphite, dust the parts well with it, and then spin at speed after assembled (but without blanks) to remove excess.

Also, you might want to look at your technique to see it you are properly cutting and that the tools are sharp and cutting cleanly. otherwiase, as Ed replied earlier, you might be torquing the sustem down unduly with working pressures

Top Bottom