Collet Chuck comparison

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BarrierBob

I have been checking e-bay for a collet chuck with collets. Prior posts have indicated ER 32 collet chucks. I see many differant numbers on collet chucks and collets. My question for anyone is, What is the differance between ER 16, ER 25 ER 32 Er 40 etc. If I find a MT 2 chuck what does the number mean? I'm not a machinist so I don't know.I'm just looking for a good deal on a multi-collet set with chuck for my Jet1220 with a MT 2. Any information would be great. Bob

bitshird

Look at the sizes of the collets, the ER 40 set will go from 1/8 in to 1 inch, the MT 2 is the Morse Taper size which may or may not fit your lathe, most have an MT 2 head and tail stock, most folks use the ER 32 sets which go from 1/8th to 3/4 inch, I've got one of the re 40 sets ordered with the MT 2 chuck Ialso ordered an MT3 chuck for my metal lathe. General consensus seems to be use the ER 32 sets. besides there is quite a bit of flexing of size in the collets them selves.

BarrierBob

Ken,

Thanks for the reply. Is the ER 32, or ER 40 only a differance in the size range of the collets? I was trying to figure out what the differant numbers may designate. My lathe is a MT2 so I know the holder must be a MT 2 to fit. If it's a good deal, more collet sizes would appear to be a good thig. Thanks again Bob

pipecrafter

I use a Beall Collet chuck:
http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php

it uses ER32 collets, and comes with a decent selection of collets to start with. You can also find non-standard-sized ER32 collets, like 13/16" if your material tends to be rather oversized. ER40 collets are physically bigger than ER32 collets, which is why they can be found in larger sizes. The collets, ranging from 1/16" to the maximum size, can be found at Enco, McMaster-Carr, MSC, and a handful of other places.

I have mine mounted on my metal lathe using the spindle threads. This allows me to pass material up to 3/4" through my spindle bore. When I've saved the cash, I'm going to get a Beall chuck for my wood lathe as well.

There's a large number of different collet types. An acquaintance of mine swears by 5C collets - which provide a couple of advantages specific to metal lathes. 5C collet chucks, however, are pretty expensive - but once you have one, you can get all kinds of special use collets - including expanding collets. I don't think I've seen ER-series expanding collets.

Top Bottom