Berea Perfect Fit Ballpoint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

Does anyone have any experience with this kit? I have now completed two; one is tight when it is twisted, the other is loose when twisted.

Also, the directions for this kit are very confusing. The bushing set have 5 pieces, kit directions only show 4. Supposidly there is an optional way to make the pen without cuting a tenon. Nothing about this in the directions. Also, the lower barrel bushing is more of a spacer than a bushing, it does not not go inside the brass tube, just fits against it.
Anyone have any better kit directions. Both AS and Berea's directions are the same, dated 2004. Thanks for any possible help.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

Are you using the 'B' mandrel? You need the larger mandrel to turn this pen. Some suppliers may provide bushings for the smaller mandrel but Berea's instructions are for the larger diameter mandrel.

There are four bushings and a spacer ring for when you take the tenon down. On this pen you take the tenon down to the brass tube then slip the spacer ring over the tube to replace the wood removed. I have trouble imagining this pen w/o the center bad, but I suppose it could be done

I have made a number of these and use one as my daily carrier.

its_virgil

I don't use the B mandrel for turning any pens...don't even have a B mandrel. I also don't see how the instructions could be mandrel specific. Whether using the A or B mandrel, the setup is the same. The only difference is the mandrel diameter and the hole diameter in the bushings. The instructions mentions using the B mandrel but making the pen on the A is the same.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Are you using the 'B' mandrel? You need the larger mandrel to turn this pen. Some suppliers may provide bushings for the smaller mandrel but Berea's instructions are for the larger diameter mandrel.

BigShed

I have made several Perfect Fit kits, both ballpoint and pencil (using the Schmidt cartridge) they make a nice matched set.

It is a little while ago, but I remember being confused like you and finished up asking a fellow pen turner in Oz (simomatra) and he pointed me to the instructions on the William Woodwrite site (your neighbours across the border). Far superior instructions!

You can find them here

hilltopper46

Berea's instructions show bushings with no step for the lower barrel, so in that regards they are mandrel specific. IF someone tried to use the B-mandrel bushings on an A mandrel, they would end up with a really out-of-kilter pen.

I don't use the B mandrel for turning any pens...don't even have a B mandrel. I also don't see how the instructions could be mandrel specific. Whether using the A or B mandrel, the setup is the same. The only difference is the mandrel diameter and the hole diameter in the bushings. The instructions mentions using the B mandrel but making the pen on the A is the same.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

its_virgil

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clearification.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Berea's instructions show bushings with no step for the lower barrel, so in that regards they are mandrel specific. IF someone tried to use the B-mandrel bushings on an A mandrel, they would end up with a really out-of-kilter pen.

Rangertrek

Tony, thanks for the input, I am using the B mandel and bushings from AS, and finally figued out the bushings. My big question is on the assembly. After I put it together, the 'twist' opeation on one pen is very tight, on the other it is loose.
Could this be due to size or lenght of the tenon? What else might do this? Any suggestion on a fix for the pen that is tight?

Fred, thanks for the link to the kit instructions. They are much better than from Berea. Wish I had found them prior to making my first one. I still have one pen to make from this kit.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
John, one issue could be the size of the larger end of the lower barrel. If it rubs against the inside of the centerband, that could cause the tightness.

Separate the pen into the two barrels. See how the transmission works. If it turns correctly, the problem likely as I mention above.

Hope this helps,

hilltopper46

To build on what Cav says, there could be some dried glue on the lower end of the upper barrel. If you have an 'O' size bit, it should easily turn within the upper barrel, which is the inside of the tube (I just took one of mine downstairs and checked). Even if the bit turns easily (it isn't a 'perfect fit' to the ID of the upper tube), take a pen knife if you have one and see if you can scrape some dried glue or brass filings out of the end of the upper barrel.

Rangertrek

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried almost everything, the upper barrel is good. I took it apart and found a small crack in the plastic mechanism. I think this was just a bad kit. The other two I finished worked fine. I wish the bad one had not been my first time with this kit. I will order a replacement and try again.

Thanks again for all the help.

Top Bottom