Cold weather=lots of extra work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Well, I know cold in Texas is not cold up north but it sure caused me a lot of extra work today! I have a personal weather station and it got down to 15.8° F last night which is really cold for Central Texas and we are just not prepared for it!

My mom owns a commercial business park with 18 metal buildings that she leases out. As a side job, she pays me a small monthly salary to be on call to take care of any facility issues. About 11 am this morning once it started thawing out, my phone started ringing off the hook! I ended up spending all day today fixing broken water pipes! Not much fun I must say. In total, I fixed 6 broken pipes in 5 buildings!

The good news, though, is that none of the pipes in my shop or house broke!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

It was only supposed to be 32 for a little while here, and I neglected to let the water run overnight... Having said that, I just crawled out from under the house after a long day of repairing cold-related chemical issues.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
That is one thing that I like about my house design. It is impossible for the pipes to freeze unless I loose hvac.

Same with mine. My house is 100% spay foam insulated and all the pipes are embedded in the foam. I do not drip faucets and do not even cover them and have had no issues in 11 years in this house. Then again, I built it and would expect nothing less.:biggrin:

NittanyLion

-11 this morning when I got the call.....I had a building flooded at work. Some very educated folks with P.H.D.'s left 3 windows open........Froze numerous pipes, flooding several floors. I Ice skated down the hall:)

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
16 below here last night. No frozen pipes, but the house was really creaking. Work was closed because two of three boilers in the steam plant are down for repair and they couldn't keep the buildings warm enough to inhabit. It's been a good 25 years since I remember this kind of weather in Ohio.

jcm71

-11 this morning when I got the call.....I had a building flooded at work. Some very educated folks with P.H.D.'s left 3 windows open........Froze numerous pipes, flooding several floors. I Ice skated down the hall:)
Just because they have a PHD does not mean they have common sense.

Top Bottom