Coffee Tree Pepper Mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from broitblat

broitblat

I had planned some additional embellishments on the shape, but when I got this far, I decided I liked it as it was (even though it's a relatively plain piece of wood).

What do you think?

-Barry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Looks Great Barry!!

But you need to find a pepper tree:confused::confused:, use the coffee tree for coffee grinders!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Woodlvr

I like the "simple" design myself. It is a very nice looking pepper mill. I have been trying to get my nerve up to turn some of these and the smaller salt and pepper mills.

By the way Good one Ed.

broitblat

Looks Great Barry!!

But you need to find a pepper tree:confused::confused:, use the coffee tree for coffee grinders!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Well, apparently such a thing does exist:

(from Wikipedia)

Peruvian Pepper (Schinus molle, also known as American pepper, Peruvian peppertree, escobilla, false pepper, molle del Peru, pepper tree,[2] peppercorn tree, Californian pepper tree, pirul and Peruvian mastic.[3]) is an evergreen tree that grows to 15 meters (50 feet). It is native to the Peruvian Andes. The bright pink fruits of Schinus molle are often sold as "pink peppercorns" although S. molle is unrelated to true pepper (Piper nigrum).

I have no idea what the wood looks like, but I may have to find out.

-Barry

MartinPens

broitblat said:
Well, apparently such a thing does exist:

(from Wikipedia)

Peruvian Pepper (Schinus molle, also known as American pepper, Peruvian peppertree, escobilla, false pepper, molle del Peru, pepper tree,[2] peppercorn tree, Californian pepper tree, pirul and Peruvian mastic.[3]) is an evergreen tree that grows to 15 meters (50 feet). It is native to the Peruvian Andes. The bright pink fruits of Schinus molle are often sold as "pink peppercorns" although S. molle is unrelated to true pepper (Piper nigrum).

I have no idea what the wood looks like, but I may have to find out.

-Barry

We have these trees here in California. I was just eyeing one the other day because, oddly so, it was bulging with burls everywhere - which is unusual. Next time I'm out where it is I'm going to take a photo of it.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

I like the wood and the simple shape... haven't done anything in coffee tree yet...need to find some one day.... I have trouble with the standard pepper mills... I guess I'm measurementally challenged?? I always seem to be a few silly millimeters off, so the adjustment doesn't work that well.... I use the crush grind myself... they allow me lots more "design freedom".... yours is excellent.

76winger

You've got enough shape added to it to make grain in that "relatively plain peice of wood" really stand out. It looks great!

crabcreekind

What kind of bit did you use to drill the hole down the middle? my dad uses a colt forstner bit. But he bought a colt long bit, and it smoked the hole on walnut,which is relatively soft compared to cocobolo he normally uses. just wondering? Good job on the Peppermill.

lorbay

What kind of bit did you use to drill the hole down the middle? my dad uses a colt forstner bit. But he bought a colt long bit, and it smoked the hole on walnut,which is relatively soft compared to cocobolo he normally uses. just wondering? Good job on the Peppermill.

I make all of my own drills for these from old planner blades and drill rod.
Sawmill planner blades that is.

Lin.

broitblat

I have 3 forstner bits that I rotate through during the course of drilling to keep any one from getting overheated. One of them is a colt (which does most of the work). I don't know the other two.

Still, drilling is the longest/slowest part of the process. I try to sharpen the bits regularly, but not sure if I do a very good job on that.

I've seen a few of your/your dad's cocobolo mills and I'm a big fan.

-Barry

Top Bottom