buckeye burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from David Keller

David Keller

I was lucky enough to buy some really nice buckeye burl from isaacrapelje here on IAP. Thanks for the gorgeous wood, Isaac!

The form is a little over 5" in diameter with cocobolo accents. It's finished with shellac and BLO... I like the soft look, so I'm thinking I'll skip the poly on this one.

Originally I turned a traditional looking finial, but it just didn't fit with the contemporary look of this wood.

burns-inspired-buckeye-4.jpg

Here's the form with a second, more contemporary finial. For those of you who are familiar with his work, the Keith Burns inspiration is probably obvious. If you're not familiar, look him up... He's a heck of a turner.

burns-inspired-buckeye-1.jpgburns-inspired-buckeye-2.jpgburns-inspired-buckeye-3.jpg
Your comments, criticism, and suggestions are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

On this one, David, you were right, the new finial is perfection. The first one is beautiful, but the second one turns a beautiful turning into some kind of power concentrator. I am sorry, that is the wrong word, but I just see the power flowing into the form from the universe. All right, so I am wired. Thanks for sharing, David and congratulations on another masterpiece.
Charles

wizard

David, Another beauty!!! As a novice, a person whose jaw drops each time you show a piece of art as well as from someone who is curious, do you know a tutorial that demonstrates such acts of magic. Thanks so much for showing. Regards, Doc

broitblat

Another beautiful piece.

I agree the second finial looks like a better match, but I wouldn't have been able to tell you why if you hadn't pointed it out.

-Barry

Top Bottom