Coffee Mug With Stainless Steel Liner.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

On another site a member mentioned Stainless Steel coffee mug liners bought at a gas station way down south for $4.00 which even included a free coffee. They had a plastic outside case that was easily removed in order to use the SS insert to make wood coffee mugs.
It was determined that the hardware of both the SS cup and the lid are identical to what some parts suppliers are selling for $9.99 plus shipping.

This peaked my curiosity so when I was in a small town just over the border I found some for $5.99 but will look for the $4.00 ones when I go to the city a little farther south and get a quantity of them .

I went out to my shop after supper last night and turned one.
Although it does take best part of an hour to turn one of these , The return on investment has always been good. I easily get $29.00 for plain ones like this and $39.00 for fancier ones.
Lighting was poor for my photo so the purple does not show right for the purple heart . From left to right is purple heart, cherry, walnut and maple. .

It has four coats of quick dry polyurethane at this point and after it has cured for a few days I will buff it with the Beal system.

CoffeeMugOpenandClosedCustom.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Here it is after being buffed and the picture taken in better light to show the color of the woods.

392550715.jpg

jedgerton

William,

That looks great! I'm not a coffee drinker but that cup might make me start. I do a similar thing with screw drivers. I buy the $3 tools at Home Depot, break off the ugly orange plastic handle and turn a new one from a nice piece of lumber. Our usual suppliers want $10 for the same thing.

John

W.Y.

Thanks for the comments.

I am trying to get some shop time in because of requests for things I was out of at last Saturday's sale . Hopefully another coffee mug before weekend but first I was asked for ice crean scoops and mirrors and back scratchers that I was sold out of so I will be making those first as well as a couple custom desk name signs that I will make on my scroll saw which were paid for in advance .

nava1uni

William,

That looks great! I'm not a coffee drinker but that cup might make me start. I do a similar thing with screw drivers. I buy the $3 tools at Home Depot, break off the ugly orange plastic handle and turn a new one from a nice piece of lumber. Our usual suppliers want $10 for the same thing.

John

I do the same thing. It is the same parts as the kits from the dealers. It is easy to make a very nice screwdriver. I make them in different sizes for smaller hands and large hands.

I really like this coffee cup. I am going to look around for the cup to try it.

W.Y.

Went out to my shop after supper night before last and grabbed a chunk of elm off the shelf. It was 4.5" square by 12" long.
Put it in the big Barracuda 4 jaw chuck on the lathe and turned this mug off the outer end.

392577108.jpg

392577110.jpg

After parting it off there was still enough length left in the chuck to make this hollow form. Walls on the hollow form are about 3/16" thick and the wood started "talking" to me so didn't go any thinner.

392601385.jpg

GregJ

William:

I make quite a few mugs like yours. I was in a Christmas Ornament store in Indianapolis last August and found the liners with plastic for $2.99 and cocktail shakers for $5.99. I bought a few and now wish I had bought more. Not sure how they can sell them so cheap.

Greg

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JustGreg

Top Bottom