Coffee Mug And Cutting Board

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Been doing lots of outside work building another 10 x10 storage shed just for snow blower and lawn mower and garden tools etc and cutting grass and getting end of season gardening cleaned up as well as a trip to the city. Who said retirement was boring . . LOL . .

I did manage to get a few hours in the shop and turn this catalpa wood cofee mug . Personally I am not all that impressed with that wood but it means a lot to some locals that have lived here all their lives because the wood came from the 102 year old tree right beside the post office in town,

I turned that mug in between doing a glue-up on this cutting board. Sometimes I get too many things going at the same time.

392757165.jpg

392757114.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I sure don't see anything wrong with the wood for the mug. Very clean looking. I have just got to get brave enough to try one. I bought 2 kits and some wood just for them over a year ago!

Pretty cutting board also. Retirement has meant hard physical work so far for me. I split wood all day and have to finish moving my wood pile. Seems to take me a little longer than it did when I was somewhat younger.

W.Y.

I sure don't see anything wrong with the wood for the mug. Very clean looking. I have just got to get brave enough to try one. I bought 2 kits and some wood just for them over a year ago!

Pretty cutting board also. Retirement has meant hard physical work so far for me. I split wood all day and have to finish moving my wood pile. Seems to take me a little longer than it did when I was somewhat younger.

I know all about the chain sawing and hauling home and splitting and piling wood. I have heated with wood like that for many years but it was starting to get a little much for me being in my 75th year. Last spring I got a pellet stove and it is so nice to be free of the wood mess and smoke that we seemed to be always cleaning up after.
It sure is nice to turn that thermostat on the wall and forget about it.
I live in the Rockies and don't have access to natural gas and the price of propane for my furnace is prohibitive.

bobleibo

Hi William
Those both look great! I really like the segmenting and the wood for the mug is perfect if you ask me.
I'm in the same club as Paul...bought the parts, just haven't got around to turning it yet. I've never turned a mug yet so I was hoping to ask you what "order of events" you use (turn the outside, chuck it in some jaws, inside, etc. etc.) ??????
Seems like whenever I turn things like this, the wobble effect and out-of-round comes screaming out loud and clear. Any helpful tips would be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Bob

W.Y.

Hi William
Those both look great! I really like the segmenting and the wood for the mug is perfect if you ask me.
I'm in the same club as Paul...bought the parts, just haven't got around to turning it yet. I've never turned a mug yet so I was hoping to ask you what "order of events" you use (turn the outside, chuck it in some jaws, inside, etc. etc.) ??????
Seems like whenever I turn things like this, the wobble effect and out-of-round comes screaming out loud and clear. Any helpful tips would be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Bob

I made a tutorial of turning a staved one on page 2 of the Turning Tutorials board in my Woodworking Friends site .
Plain wood ones like the one shown here are the easiest . It takes best part of an hour to turn one of those.
There is also a pdf on how to turn them on CSUSA and on other sites where the kits are sold.
I don't buy those kits anymore from on line suppliers. They eat into the profit area too much .

Come on you guys . Two of you said you have parts but never got around to trying it . Put a hunk of wood on the lathe and go at it. It won't get done by itself. :biggrin:
First one will take you a while but after half a dozen or so they are a piece of cake and you will never look at the instructions anymore. . :wink:

bobleibo

I admit it...I have the parts but they need some attention!
I looked at your web site (love the pics of the "red shop" fr the Paduak ! I did not find the tutorials you spoke of...was I looking in the wrong place?
Cheers
Bob

PaulDoug

Do a google search on Woodworking Friends. You have to register to see the tutorial. Go to the tutorials thread and you will find it. It is on the second page if I remember. It's a nice forum site. I'm their newest member, well at this second....

W.Y.

I admit it...I have the parts but they need some attention!
I looked at your web site (love the pics of the "red shop" fr the Paduak ! I did not find the tutorials you spoke of...was I looking in the wrong place?
Cheers
Bob
The one you viewed was just my PictureTrail albums site with a sampling of some of my work.

Yes Bob , as Paul mentioned . I refrain from posting live links to Discussion board site because some site administrators have rules against that sort of thing as do I in my own site..
If you need any more help on seeing that tutorial a PM or a email will be fine.
I just got in from my shop after whipping up another mug after supper . This time in cherry. Seal coat and first top coat on already. Picture of it finished will follow after several more coats.

bobleibo

Paul,
You WERE the newest member.....
Thank you for the info, I appreciate the help
Cheers
Bob

Do a google search on Woodworking Friends. You have to register to see the tutorial. Go to the tutorials thread and you will find it. It is on the second page if I remember. It's a nice forum site. I'm their newest member, well at this second....

W.Y.

Here is the one I turned after supper last night that I referred to in this thread.

It was turned from a round log (about 5" diameter) of fruit orchard cherry wood from my neighbors orchard.
It has one coat of sanding sealer and three coats of wipe on polyurethane applied with a foam brush. . I speed the applications up of the 4 hour poly by placing it in the oven in the kitchen with just the heat of the light on in there. It speeds it up to just two hours so I was able to get the third coat on around midnight.
After a day or two of curing I will use the Beal buffer on it .

392773239.jpg

W.Y.

To go along with the coffee mugs shown in this weeks turnings I received an order of a couple hundred dollars worth of miscellaneous project parts I was out of. Ordered Monday morning and received yesterday (Wed) afternoon.

A bunch of back scratcher hardware and letter openers and pepper-mill kits plus a few other things I have never tried before.
This was my first shoe horn trial and I was impressed at the heavy duty quality of the solid brass hardware . Also , they have now added the Brass end cap for the back scratches and shoe horns which I think adds a lot compared to the ones with no hardware on the outer end like I got last time.

The letter opener handle is a piece of box elder burl. It has a BLO/CA finish .
Pardon the picture quality . I have problems trying to make brass and gold plating show properly with my aim and click method of photography.

Don't think I will be able to get at making some pepper mills and salt shakers this week in time for Saturdays craft sale because I have some appointments in town tomorrow.

392807385.jpg

392807189.jpg

MobilMan

You're mighty welcome. Glad to help a man that's been such a great help to others as you. Hope the mugs the wife asked me to make for presents turn out as nice as yours. I really enjoy looking as your work, simply amazing.

W.Y.

Thanks for the kind replies.

My poorest Craft sale this season.

Sold both coffee mugs I made last week ($29 and $35) and both cutting boards so I am out of both items . And a couple bottle stoppers and that was it.
Only cleared $199.00

Pouring rain and cold surely had something to do with it along with the fact that it is a week from "pay day" here for the majority of the population in this area that are on seniors pension. . I was glad it was indoors.

I wasn't alone . It is a farmers market/craft sale setting and the farmers sold very little of their produce either .

Most of us started packing up at 1.00 PM instead of 2.00PM so it was only a three hour sale

I still have a LOT of catching up to do just to replace items sold from the last few weeks sales so another busy week ahead of me.

Top Bottom