Coffee Bean Pen Blanks problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joemac8

I am relatively new to turning. I bought two coffee bean pen blanks and am having a difficult time turning without loosing beans. I am using an Easytool square end tool with a radiused blade and have a fresh edge and am going slow but I keep loosing beans. My blanks are now round but I don't want to turn any further as I am close to ruining the blanks. I have tried turning slow speed, medium speed as well as fast but get the same result. I believe that I am using a very light touch and I have the blade even with the center of the mandrl.

I could sure use some suggestions before I destroy the blank.

TIA, Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

I am going to try and make some coffee bean blanks soon but haven't yet. From what I have read on here you need to keep applying CA as you are turning to make the beans stick so they will turn, not fly out.

desertrat

I fill the voids with ground coffee and med. ca then light cuts with a sharp skew. Soaking the blank with thin ca. as you turn also helps to keep the beans in place. They are a pain to turn but the end result is well worth the effort in my opinion.
Hope this helps

John H

low_48

I've made several and never lost a bean. Dumb luck? Maybe, but I turn at really high speed, light cuts, and skew only. The shearing cut from the skew hardly puts any forces on the blank.

Joemac8

Unfortunately, I have no skill with a skew. The scraping cut with an EasyWood turner is a scraping action and, at least in my case, not very good. I have been using a lot of CA, have a new, sharp blade and take very light cuts. After four light passes, I stop and re-CA and let it rest 1/2 hour and get back at it.

Nonetheless, I am getting horrendous tearout. I just lost a piece that went all the way to the brass tube. I have re-glued it and will wait an hour or more and go back. I'll try sandpaper next, as the EasyWood apparently is not the answer in this case.

Jim Burr

Banned
I've made and sold several dozen of these...they are a pain!! As suggested before, plenty of thin CA for a quick fix, light cuts and get used to that skew!

JamesB

I don't worry about them flying out until they fly away and leave the tube visible, then I do what desertrat said and fill the hole with coffee (I used shavings from the blank) and some thin CA (since that's all I have). The PSI customer reviews say the way to do it is turn close to size and finish by sanding, just don't use CA on the sandpaper or the dark bean dust contaminates the entire thing.

76winger

I've made several and never lost a bean. Dumb luck? Maybe, but I turn at really high speed, light cuts, and skew only. The shearing cut from the skew hardly puts any forces on the blank.

I doubt the high speed is helpful in keeping the beans in place (centrifugal force and all), but the shearing cuts using a sharp skew are probably your best friend for one of these blanks.

There's a lot less tearing action and more "slicing" action going on when you use a skew (why I favor it myself) than there is with the gouge (unless you hold so as to create a skew-like slicing cut) and carbide-tipped variations of turning tools.

glen r

Turn your tool so that you are cutting at about 45 degrees instead of scraping. The square tool can almost act as a skew when you present the cutter at an angle. It should help with putting less stress on the beans .

Joemac8

I tried the skew and got more off and it was cleaner. I only lost one more bean. I finished with sandpaper and am now trying a CA finsih. I will probably need explosives to get the bushings off.:eek:

Joemac8

Yes I used epoxy and let it sit overnight.

It all doesn't matter after all. I went to assemble my kits and it turns out that I used the wrong bushings. I just wasted $20 and a full day turning trash. I'm going to bed.

SDB777

Thin CA and sharp tooling. Light cuts and more applications of CA should help greatly!

It's the same with turning Afgan Pine Cone(trying to keep the white colored seeds from shooting out).

Scott

JamesB

It all doesn't matter after all. I went to assemble my kits and it turns out that I used the wrong bushings. I just wasted $20 and a full day turning trash. I'm going to bed.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I assume the bushings you used were too small, otherwise you could just get the right ones and fix it. That really stinks! :mad:

Joemac8

Yep, too small. I used 7mm. I was making coffee scoops and they take a much larger bushing. I actually had bought the correct bushings and had them in the bag with the kits. I was so concerned with the process, I failed to pay proper attention to details.

Another well learned lesson. One more of many in my life. Life is tough, its tougher when you are a cement head.:angry:

nava1uni

It wasn't a total waste. You learned something. If you use CA you can avoid sticking bushings by waxing them before you start turning. It makes easy removal after doing CA finish. As for using the wrong bushings, well we have all done it, myself several times.

low_48

I doubt the high speed is helpful in keeping the beans in place (centrifugal force and all), but the shearing cuts using a sharp skew are probably your best friend for one of these blanks.

There's a lot less tearing action and more "slicing" action going on when you use a skew (why I favor it myself) than there is with the gouge (unless you hold so as to create a skew-like slicing cut) and carbide-tipped variations of turning tools.

With the higher speeds, I think it is easier to control impact on the corners as the blank is rounded. At least it sounds that way when I turn. If rpm at that diameter will throw out a bean, it's not got much grip in the resin anyway.

Top Bottom