cocobolo bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from moyehow

moyehow

cocobolo bowl with texturing on rim and bottom.

DSC_8278.jpg

DSC_8282.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I love the idea with the texturing....but do me a favor. as a student of photography, when you use a dark wood, we can see it better if you us a lighter background. I really like the look of the bottom.

Laurie

FrankG

Ahhh - Cocobolo - one of my favorite woods, especially the Mexican variety with the orange grain. A very nice piece, but I don't think I would embellish Cocobolo with chatter work; it's just too beautiful on its own. JMO.

moyehow

It is a dark piece of cocobolo. I tried everything I could to take a better picture. I would love to get my hands on some of the lighter and oranger cocobolo. I have another piece waiting to be turned, but it is dark too. Thanks for the compliments.

moyehow

Ahhh - Cocobolo - one of my favorite woods, especially the Mexican variety with the orange grain. A very nice piece, but I don't think I would embellish Cocobolo with chatter work; it's just too beautiful on its own. JMO.

I just had to try it. I agree, it didn't need the texturing. Where do you order your mexican variety of cocobolo from?

statsdaman

Cocobolo from Nicaragua

Actually, the cocobolo from Nicaragua is available in a full range of colors and figures as well. Below is a photo of slats cut from a number of different cants. You can see that some of them are in the orangish part of the range while the others more in the darker and purple part of the range.

After milling them down into 'slats,' it's best to sticker, stack and weigh them while they dry down, mainly to prevent cupping. Lastly, there is a photo of pen blanks being cut to supply a local large retailer in our area.

I've tried to check out the form rules and such and think that it's ok to reference my web page(s). For anyone interested, I'm a good source for all the cocobolo, ziricote, and honduran mahogany you could possibly want. Although I'm good with woods, I'm not so great at web pages so please excuse that presentation.

Damon Stathatos
Sierra Madre Sawing & Milling
cocobolo@me.com
626-823-4024

web pages:
http://web.me.com/damonstats/Sierra_Madre_Sawing_&_Milling/Welcome.html
http://web.me.com/damonstats/Sierra_Madre_Sawing_&_Milling/Cocobolo.html

Attachments

• Coco - weighted stack 2.jpg
    Coco - weighted stack 2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Coco slats 1.jpg