Cocobolo Bowl Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rcd567

Rcd567

Where is a good source for a decent sized bowl blank in cocobolo? Decent size = 8x8x3 or 4. I can find lots of them in the 6x6x2 range. I'm having trouble with a bigger size.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rcd567

Thanks. I'm also trying ebay but the stuff I bid on goes wild. A guy could buy it from Cooks sometimes cheaper than the auction ends up. Crazy...but it is beautiful wood. Hard to find 3 - 4" pieces at a decent price.

wb7whi

When you make the bowl do not use an oil based finish. Mine has been drying now for 2 months and counting. I have since learned to first use a light coat of shellack to seal it up with. I suspect that friction polish will do, then use any finish you want. Hoping mine will dry berfore next christmas :)

Wayne

Skye

I looooooove cocobolo but I developed an allergy to it over time. Be careful with the stuff, it's one of the more irritating woods.

marcruby

Consider 'not' finishing. By that I mean sand and buff out the wood and then use only wax. Cocobolo is not generally used for high use bowls so from a shelf standpoint wax is sufficient. If you are going to use and finish clean the surface with acetone to remove enough oil so that the finish gets a chance to penetrate.

Marc

When you make the bowl do not use an oil based finish. Mine has been drying now for 2 months and counting. I have since learned to first use a light coat of shellack to seal it up with. I suspect that friction polish will do, then use any finish you want. Hoping mine will dry berfore next christmas :)

Wayne

Top Bottom