Another lidded box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skye

Skye

Still a practice, but it's getting a little better. Still haven't gotten all the steps down, tools needed, etc. This is for my daughter's teacher's birthday. Lignum and ebony. It's maybe 6 inches tall:

1_DSC03037.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Thanks. The pic doesn't show it (luckily) but I'm a few hundredths off on the fit between the finial and the top. I keep forgetting to hollow out the top enough that I can reverse chuck it to smooth the transition between the two down. There's a few steps to making these, eventually I'll have them all down. Heh

M

Mudder

Very nice Skye. Lidded boxes are very fun to make and they sell very well at craft shows and in galleries.

mick

Looks great! What are you parting the top off with? All my parting tools are thicker and if I try I end up losing the pattern of the grain when I part the top off.

About the bigger lathe. I hear you! I've already checked on a spindle adapter to mount my Talon chuck to my ShopSmith, They want almost 70 buck for it....I guess I'll be turning smaller stuff for awhile.

Last edited:

hehndc

I think it looks great. The grain on the bottom matches well. It projects like that I wish I made a parting tool out of an old reciprocating saw blade.

Steve

Skye

Looks great! What are you parting the top off with? All my parting tools are thicker and if I try I end up losing the pattern of the grain when I part the top off.

Kinda like one of these, think it's something like a 3/32" (lots of vibration!)

41ZMF3MYJ5L.jpg

I also made the tennon about the same width as the parting too, trying to remove as little as possible.

bad

My compliments Skye. That's some nice craftsmanship. You mentioned in one of your replies that you are a few thou. off between the finial and the top. I'm willing to bet that you're going to be the only one who will ever notice that.

Skye

It was surprisingly easy. Almost reminded me of olive in a way. I've only worked with it once in the past and it was in a pen and it was a lot more green colored... or at least it is now. Does it change color?

It seemed much more moist inside the blank than I thought it should, so I've got my fingers crossed that nothing nasty happens to it. I already gave it to my kid's teacher.

Skye,
Spectacular piece.. beautifully done. (Sorry about the drool on it):eek:

I did an unethical thing... :redface:
I copied your picture to my go-by files - as soon as I learn to do lidded boxes, I'm going to try one like yours... love the form.:cool:

Skye

I didnt have any pics on hand, but at work I've got a bunch of pics of boxes people have made. Probably more for the finial ideas than anything else.

Top Bottom