Clouds under my CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Adillo303

I have spent a bunch of time learning how to do a good CA finish and am pretty well pleased.

I have this nagging problem that has only come up recently (I have been turning pens for 3 years)

I get a white "cloud" under the CA finish of some pens. Not at the end, up maybe around the middle or up maybe 3/4".

I have been dismantling the pen gently removing the CA and refinishing and it seems OK then.

Would anyone be able to help me with a n idea of what is causing this inthe first place and how I can avoid it.

Thank You very much.

Andy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ve3bax

a picture would probably go a long way in getting you the best answer for your question...

do you use accelerator? i've found that if accelerator is used too close to the pen i get nasty white blotches... if this describes your problem, move back a bit, when using accelerator and stop the lathe and check between each coat... i also use a bit of 0000 steel wool between each coat length wise with the lathe off to help smooth any ridges that might be there and it removes any errant white spots easily without having to sand off the whole finish.

--Dave

kovalcik

What type of wood? Any chance these blanks were not completely dry?

Old CA has been known to do this. Was your CA fresh? Also, there was talk about a bad batch of CA causing clouding. Don't remember the details.

Last edited:

Adillo303

First off thank you all.

I don't have a picture at the moment. I can post one this evening.

I do use an accelerator. After a few coats.

Funny thing is that when I made the pen it was not there. It showed up in one pen a couple days later and in some others over days or weeks.

Woods are varied purple heart, oak, Paduak, Bocote.

While it always possible the wood had absorbed some moisture, it was all stored in the shop off the floor.

I changed bottles of CA. I seem to recall pens from both bottles failing.

Hopefully, I will get a pix tonight.

1080Wayne

Almost certainly moisture if showing up that much later . Were the woods newly purchased or have you had them for several months ? May not have been fully dry under your ambient conditions .

mick

95% of the time cloudy spots are the result of moisture especially if appearing a few days after the pen is finished. As said above
Oily woods can also be the culprit.for this wipe the blank down with accelerator before turning. This might help but ymmv.

Adillo303

First - Thank you all for your much appreciated help.

I was afrsid that moisture was the problem.

I have been wiping my newer work down with DNA.

I wad thinking an hour or so in a warm location after turning (thinner wood). I will try the accellerator.

Top Bottom