Buying CA in the UK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnytruant

Hi,

I was directed here from a very helpful chap on reddit who was helping me out with my first steps in CA finishing. He talked about specially formulated CA for woodturning, rather than the standard hardware store stuff I've been using.

This link was provided: Buy StickFast CA Finishing Kit at Woodcraft.com

But I am having trouble finding similar things in the UK. I've done quite a bit of googling but I'm not sure I'm searching for the right kind of thing. I'm new to turning and haven't really found where to look for stuff yet.

Any tips on suppliers of finishing products, specifically CA, over here in Blighty would be much appreciated, and I apologise in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum - if so, please do stomp me, mods. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Johnny, welcome to IAP.
My CA of choice is the cheap No Nonsense brand from Screwfix.
You can buy it on it's own or with activator spray.

I have had great results with it from segmenting complex blanks to nice shiney finishes.

I will never believe that the more expensive big name brands are any better.

Only thing with Screwfix CA is to check the expiry date on the bottom of the bottle when they bring it to the counter. My current two bottles, which I bought about three months ago are now dull yellow in the bottles. The date underneath is well over a year old. :frown:
No biggie, but I should have checked.

johnnytruant

Cheers guys, that's useful stuff.

I wish I'd thought to just check screwfix! I'm there pretty often anyway, and their prices are usually really good. Cheap is good, especially as I'm learning and half the time I end up having to restart a finish - although that is getting better as I practice. But I can do without spending £6 a go on 10g bottles of Loctite brand (I try to support my local, family-run diy shop but they're hugely overpriced!)

ugrad

Hi, I buy tons of CA from Poundland and now use the screwfix No Nonsense activator which works well. The poundland CA is only thin, but it works well.

Regards
Peter

david44

Hi everyone.

Here in East Yorkshire I buy CA from a store called Boyes - £1 a shot for thin - even cheaper sometimes. It seems to work.
Other finishing stuff - get some micromesh pads. For plastics, corian, acrylic, I use TCUT or similar for the final polish.

Top Bottom