Closed End MagLite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from thetalbott4

thetalbott4

I really thought a closed end maglite would be cool looking. It was pretty easy to do, but when I put it together it just sort of...sat there and wasnt all that interesting to look at. I put a stock metal end back on and it really popped. After I took the pictures I had the idea that maybe if it had a polished metal ring between the barrel and end cap it would break it up. Gonna try that next. I never thought I would be getting so excited about a flashlight, but they really are nice to look at. Anyway, is the closed end as boring as I think? And what about the polished ring, would that make it any better?

Attachments

• DSCN1638.JPG
    DSCN1638.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCN1636.JPG
    DSCN1636.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I like both, and think that even the metal band you talk about would also look good! But the second pic with the metal end does POP, like you said! Nice choice of wood too. great work!

David Keller

I like them both. I agree with your idea to use a ring near the end cap. Why not try some thin metal segmenting as well?

olsenla

Great job Scott!! I like both of these good choice of wood. I think a thin trim piece on the first one would really set it off nicely, but just the regular cap looks good to me and it helps protect the wood. They are a lot of fun though.

Larry

thetalbott4

I like them both. I agree with your idea to use a ring near the end cap. Why not try some thin metal segmenting as well?

Thanks for the feedback. Segmenting on these may be pretty precarious cuz the material is SO thin (about .008" on this one, although I took it down father than I needed to by several thousanths). Even with a good epoxy bond I think I would be dodging flying parts. But I'm not known for doing the smartest things so it maight be worth a shot. lol

jskeen

I gotta agree with you, the closed end does look kinda...... plain? the cap looks better. Plus I know from looking at my older all metal versions, that end cap takes a lot of abuse, and I don't know how the wood would hold up. Segmented might be cool, and I also have seen several maglights of different sizes wrapped in leather and stitched, but they look off because the wrap increases the diameter. I don't know if you could turn off enough to have a leather wrap still be at normal diameter, but it might be interesting.

Top Bottom