Clock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

I had a piece of mineral-stained poplar lying around, so I turned it into a clock.

Attachments

• Clock.jpg
    Clock.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Eric

Nice job. Did I mention I like clocks:)

Just a suggestion and this is just an opinion. But when making full faced clocks from a slab of wood I always find not using all numerals is more eye appealing. If you want to designate the numerals uses dots or dashes in place. The numbers 12, 3, 6, and 9 can be used. Love the wood grain. Thanks for showing.

Sylvanite

...when making full faced clocks from a slab of wood I always find not using all numerals is more eye appealing. If you want to designate the numerals uses dots or dashes in place. The numbers 12, 3, 6, and 9 can be used.
Yes, that was my original intent. When I did a test engraving, however, it looked too sparse. If the clock had been smaller, I would have stuck with just 4 numbers (and they would have been proportionately larger), but at 9.5" diameter, I chose to use all 12.

Generally, though, I agree with you. One wants the eye drawn to the grain (or figure) of the wood -- not the numbers.

Regards,
Eric

jttheclockman

Yes, that was my original intent. When I did a test engraving, however, it looked too sparse. If the clock had been smaller, I would have stuck with just 4 numbers (and they would have been proportionately larger), but at 9.5" diameter, I chose to use all 12.

Generally, though, I agree with you. One wants the eye drawn to the grain (or figure) of the wood -- not the numbers.

Regards,
Eric

You would have been right on the mark Eric with the larger numbers and dots or dashes. It still looks good, don't get me wrong. I love the grain in the wood.

broitblat

Nice work!

I just finished a clock (I'll get pictures up to prove it :) but wasn't ambitious enough to put on any numbering. I think the numbers look very elegant on your design and complement the figure in the wood nicely.

-Barry

Top Bottom