Cleaning oil/grease from old metal tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I happened across an estate sale in my neighborhood and picked up a large number of tools like a very nice cross slide table with a tilting vise ($35), a couple of other machine vises ($3) and several large old steel C-Clamps ($3). All of these tools have no rust at all but there is old oil/grease buildup on them. I'd like to clean all of them and grease them up before I put them to use. My question is, what is the best way to clean the old grease/oil from these tools? I was thinking of soaking them in a (solution?) before drying them and lubricating. What are your recommendations of what to soak them in? (hopefully other than gasoline) Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

i'm old school and like Varsol (Stoddard solvent), similar to the mineral spirits suggested above. Generally cheap at an automotive store. It leaves a slight oily film on the metal that helps slow rusting.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I like Zep Citrus Degreaser. A gallon is about $10 at Home Depot. I used it almost straight for heavy grease. I recently disassembled and cleaned an old bench vise that was caked with gunk and it worked well. In that case I cut the Zep with a couple quarts of very hot water, then I soaked everything for a couple hours. I rinse with water, but immediately used compressed air, then WD-40 to displace the water and leave a little film.

EDIT: The Zep doesn't dissolve the grease, you need to persuade it off with a stiff bristle brush.

Last edited:

Rockytime

I like Zep Citrus Degreaser. A gallon is about $10 at Home Depot. I used it almost straight for heavy grease. I recently disassembled and cleaned an old bench vise that was caked with gunk and it worked well. In that case I cut the Zep with a couple quarts of very hot water, then I soaked everything for a couple hours. I rinse with water, but immediately used compressed air, then WD-40 to displace the water and leave a little film.

EDIT: The Zep doesn't dissolve the grease, you need to persuade it off with a stiff bristle brush.

Zep is great stuff. I repair clock movements, some of which are covered with stiff oil and grease. I soak the movements in mineral spirits to soften the hardened oil and grease and move them into an ultrasonic tank filled with full strength Zep De-greaser. They come out bright and shiny. Yes, Zep is a wonderful product.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
If you are up to soaking it, kerosine is a good choice. Cheap, and leaves a layer of lubrication without another product.

Kerosine was every farmer's solvent of choice back in the days before WD-40 and all the fancy stuff we have now. It's still a great, simple & cheap product for cleaning metal parts. Perhaps a bit on the smelly side, but quite effective.

Top Bottom