cleaning 24KT plated gold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

steamshovel

I tried the library and no luck. I have some Ca glue and some adhesive from masking tape on the 24 Kt gold plating on a bolt action and am not sure what to use to clean it off. Would acetone work?

Thanks, Preston

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

DNA will probably get the tape. Acetone could damage the topcoat but will take the CA out. De-bonder might work without hurting the finish. Wish I knew for sure. Let us know when you find out.

turncrazy43

Have had CA on 24K finished pens before. Used debonder sparingly and it did not effect the finish on mine. Don't let it sit on the finish very long and you should be OK, IMO.

steamshovel

Update: I don't have any debonder. I have acetone and used some on a Q-tip and very lightly scrubbed the CA and it changed the color of the 24 KT plating, it was still gold colored but more a brass color. The gold plating must be very thin. I sharpened my pocket knife and I mean sharpened and buffed the edge on a buffing wheel. I then very lightly scraped and I could feel the resistance of the CA but it came off. A razor blade would work also, just take it slow. I also liked the idea of WD40 and am sure it would work.

Google (how thin is 24KT gold plating) and see what you come up with.

Preston

Last edited:
Top Bottom