Circuit Board Pen Group Buy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

got mine too. Thanks. One question though. I haven't made one before. Do you need to square the end of the blanks or turn as is. It looks like they have been squared but the tube is slightly recessed in the blank.

jttheclockman

got mine too. Thanks. One question though. I haven't made one before. Do you need to square the end of the blanks or turn as is. It looks like they have been squared but the tube is slightly recessed in the blank.

Peter they are usually ready to turn but I just take my pen mill and lightly hit it again. You want to see that bright brass edge of the tube. The length is not super critical but don't go overboard. Good luck and have fun with them.

jttheclockman

Neil

Question for you. Did mine go in the mail??? As of yet I have not received them. I assume you sent them USPS and they have been to my door already today.

bruce119

You should square the ends a little just to true it up. Be careful with a pen mill. A disk sander is better if you use a mill be sure it is sharp go slow and mill till you just touch the tube.

Bruce

soccer2010

thanks

Received mine ... thanks for doing this. I wish that I would have ordered more if I had more spare money. Hopefully we get another chance at a great deal later this year.

Randy_

.....Do you need to square the end of the blanks or turn as is. It looks like they have been squared but the tube is slightly recessed in the blank.

Those blanks are cast with the stock tubes from the original kits so, in theory, the blanks should be squared and shortened until the ends of the brass tubes are just shiny. They will probably work if you leave a little of the resin; but this creates a potential problem. The finial will not be fully inserted into the brass tube and might possibly come loose.

Last edited:

tommyd

bushing ?

Just received my pens the other day and turned one of them when putting them together realized one bushing is larger then the other.:eek: Is this right?

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Secondly, if you leave the resin longer than the brass tube, that will reduce the extension of the tip of the refill slightly.
Actually, the tube length has no impact on the tip extension. The nib, ink cartridge, and transmission are one assembly and slip into the tube as a one piece unit. You can not adjust the amount of tip exposure with these by altering the tube length.

bruce119

Just received my pens the other day and turned one of them when putting them together realized one bushing is larger then the other.:eek: Is this right?

Yes the clip end is slightly larger then the nib O.D. of the Vista are NIB .523 and clip .550

Remember these are the Sierra VISTA

Did you get a copy of the "tips & tricks" with your order.

jttheclockman

Yes that is true. for the Sierra Vista. The nib is smaller. It really doesn't matter which way you place the blank on the kit. They look good both ways and you may want to change it up to give the appearance that they are different blanks if someone is buying more than one. Also turning the blank around under the clip would give a different apprearance. They are a fun kit.

Randy_

Actually, the tube length has no impact on the tip extension. The nib, ink cartridge, and transmission are one assembly and slip into the tube as a one piece unit. You can not adjust the amount of tip exposure with these by altering the tube length.

Geee....... What was I thinking???:eek::rolleyes::eek: Neil is, of course, exactly correct!!

I have been experimenting with some ideas for the button click Sierra, lately. Guess I must have been thinking about that kit when I made the misstatement.

Sorry.

Hope I don't confuse anyone!!

nava1uni

Just wanted to let you know the package with the blanks for myself and for Mike have arrived. Picked it up yesterday at work. They are really nice looking blanks. I am ready to turn them soon. What tips/tricks sheet is Bruce talking about? Is it just for the Sierra Vista?

bruce119

Just wanted to let you know the package with the blanks for myself and for Mike have arrived. Picked it up yesterday at work. They are really nice looking blanks. I am ready to turn them soon. What tips/tricks sheet is Bruce talking about? Is it just for the Sierra Vista?

You should have gotten a "Tips & Tricks" sheet with your kits. If you or someone has missed it you can see them and a lot more information about how to modify your blank to fit other kits.

http://www.creativeinksbybruce.com/

Remember when modifying your blanks you are doing at your own risk.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
There should be a half sheet of paper in every package that has some info on the kits from Bruce. I tried to get them in every one of them and thought I did, but it is possible that I missed one or two.

Darley

Cindy here's goes, hope Bruce would not mind to copy from is site,

TIPS & TRICKS

Congratulations on your purchase of your new Computer Pen Kit. You will find these easy to work with. I recommend sanding the ends square. I don't like mills if your not careful you can catch and tear a chunk out. I also recommend after squaring the ends to apply a little thin CA to seal the ends. Also it will help if you sand the blank round before you put it on the lathe. These are a Sierra Vista kit and is fatter that than a standard Sierra. The bushings on a Vista are different sizes the clip end is slightly larger use this as a guide. Try not to go smaller than that .551. Than you can taper the blank to fit the pen. You can get it to fit the Sierra and the Sierra Click. Check my web site for more information, tips and pictures. www.creativeinksbybruce.com
Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Thank you
Bruce Egolf
IAP bruce119

More tidbits of information

The Vista kit uses the same tube as the standard Sierra. The Vista is just a little fatter. So you can use the standard Sierra bushing if you are careful and check the size of the kit parts.

Bushing measurements
I.D. of both the standard and vista is the same .389
O.D of booth of the standard Sierra are .477
O.D. of the Vista are NIB .523 and clip .550

Some information about modifying for different kits

Just keep in mind when modifying the thing to look out for is the 2 orange & black long fuse looking components. They are both on the same end of the blank they are the highest components. You will hit them about .532 see the below. The Vista turns to .551 on the large side then .523 on the nib end. So keep that in mind when modifying. As you get close to the final shape if you are cutting it close you should creep up on it very slowly with a skew scraping just a little at a time. If you happen to hit a component it should be no problem it is time to stop when you sand and I wet sand with micro mesh through the numbers then polish it. The hit component wouldn't even be noticeable.

jttheclockman

I will pull the tracking number from your box and see what is happening.

Neil, just wanted to let you know my order came today and whenever the rest comes in let me know. Thanks for taking on this group buy. Great to take advantage of some savings.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Neil, just wanted to let you know my order came today and whenever the rest comes in let me know. Thanks for taking on this group buy. Great to take advantage of some savings.
John,
I'm happy to know that they arrived finally, I figure yours took the longest because you are the closest to me in miles. The rest of them arrived today and will be going out tomorrow for you. So if this package was any sign of how it works, you should have them in a week or two.:biggrin:
Neil

hdbblue

I figure that if everyone else has their kits, mine should arrive in a week or so. Just got a package from Las Vegas today that was sent on May 20 Express Mail International. Estimated delivery time was three days, actual delivery time was twelve days.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Just goes to show, they can make it to Australia before they make it 2 states away. John, you are aware that these are not the blanks Bruce makes.

I have learned in the past that I can get something to Europe quicker than I can get it to Canada.

skywizzard

Neil,
got mine last Saturday. Sorry so long to confirm but I have an excuse, my grandaughter (and her parents) were visiting :) Thanks

Darley

Just goes to show, they can make it to Australia before they make it 2 states away. John, you are aware that these are not the blanks Bruce makes.

I have learned in the past that I can get something to Europe quicker than I can get it to Canada.

That correct Neil I receive mine today so will try to turn 1 this long weekend if not to busy at work, thanks for this GB, kits look realy good, maybe you can make another GB in the future:wink:

jttheclockman

John,
I'm happy to know that they arrived finally, I figure yours took the longest because you are the closest to me in miles. The rest of them arrived today and will be going out tomorrow for you. So if this package was any sign of how it works, you should have them in a week or two.:biggrin:
Neil

Hey Neil, we need to move farther apart. I still have not gotten the second package backorder yet. Simply amazing how the postal service works.:biggrin:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Hey Neil, we need to move farther apart. I still have not gotten the second package backorder yet. Simply amazing how the postal service works.:biggrin:
Nope, I can't blame them this time, I was waiting for something to come in that I wanted to add into your package. It still hasn't shown up, but you package went out yesterday anyways with a little bit from my current stock.

jttheclockman

Nope, I can't blame them this time, I was waiting for something to come in that I wanted to add into your package. It still hasn't shown up, but you package went out yesterday anyways with a little bit from my current stock.

Neil

I got the package today and in it your little surprise. Am going to have to give it a go. Thanks for doing the group buy.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Neil

I got the package today and in it your little surprise. Am going to have to give it a go. Thanks for doing the group buy.
John, I think I added everything I said I would, but my memory is on vacation for a while, so if I have forgotten anything, please send me a PM and let me know. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom