Chuck with drawbar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Where can I find a jacobs chuck with a drawbar? Are they usually sold together or is this something I need to look for separately?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cbatzi01

Jacobs chucks are pretty easy to find on their own. I would start here and contact JohnnyCNC. He sells a lot of lathe accessories (centers, chucks, bushings, etc).

As far as the drawbar, what I have typically seen is internal threads on the back of the Morse taper. You can go to HD/Lowes/What-have-you, and just get all-thread rod, some washers and a nut, and "make" the drawbar.

You'll want to make sure the taper this threading though. I have two chucks and neither are threaded, but I've never had a problem.

If you are using this in the tailstock though, I am not sure it will work, unless you don't want to advance the quill.

Good luck!
Chris

nava1uni

You can buy them on some sites, but you can make a draw bar real easily. My Jacobs chuck is a 1/4-20 thread so I took a piece of 1/4-20 rod that I bought at a hardware store. I cut a length long enough to go through my headstock and fully into the chuck body. I then turned a knob and expoxy it onto the end of the rod. Now when I use the chuck I simply thread the rod until the know tightens down against the headstock wheel. Probably cost me $1.50 and I have made them for other mandrels or chucks.

glycerine

Jacobs chucks are pretty easy to find on their own. I would start here and contact JohnnyCNC. He sells a lot of lathe accessories (centers, chucks, bushings, etc).

As far as the drawbar, what I have typically seen is internal threads on the back of the Morse taper. You can go to HD/Lowes/What-have-you, and just get all-thread rod, some washers and a nut, and "make" the drawbar.

You'll want to make sure the taper this threading though. I have two chucks and neither are threaded, but I've never had a problem.

If you are using this in the tailstock though, I am not sure it will work, unless you don't want to advance the quill.

Good luck!
Chris

Ok, that's a good point. When drilling on the lathe, do most people put the blank on the headstock end and the drill bit in the tailstock or vice versa?

glycerine

You can buy them on some sites, but you can make a draw bar real easily. My Jacobs chuck is a 1/4-20 thread so I took a piece of 1/4-20 rod that I bought at a hardware store. I cut a length long enough to go through my headstock and fully into the chuck body. I then turned a knob and expoxy it onto the end of the rod. Now when I use the chuck I simply thread the rod until the know tightens down against the headstock wheel. Probably cost me $1.50 and I have made them for other mandrels or chucks.

Ok. So do you mount your blank at the tailstock when drilling?

mickr

And you don't have problems with the drill bit wobbling or anything?
I just re-read this whole discussion. I think I see your confusion...you use a drawbar in the HEADSTOCK END..it keeps the chuck tight...on the tailstock end YOU DO NOT USE A DRAWBAAR...the pushing while drilling keeps it in the MT...hope I figured out your confusion & helped:confused:

glycerine

I just re-read this whole discussion. I think I see your confusion...you use a drawbar in the HEADSTOCK END..it keeps the chuck tight...on the tailstock end YOU DO NOT USE A DRAWBAAR...the pushing while drilling keeps it in the MT...hope I figured out your confusion & helped:confused:

Yes, I think I get it. When I think of the chuck attached to the headstock, I am thinking of the kind that screws onto the threads instead of using the morse taper hole, so I was not understanding why a draw bar would be needed at the headstock. I get it now. Thanks.

mickr

Yes, I think I get it. When I think of the chuck attached to the headstock, I am thinking of the kind that screws onto the threads instead of using the morse taper hole, so I was not understanding why a draw bar would be needed at the headstock. I get it now. Thanks.
You are welcome..just just as another thought..I have 2 chucks..one fits the MT very well and does not migrate out..the other will...you may never need a drawbar..I've not had one in 50 yrs of turning...I use a rubber mallet...make sure the chuck is seated well in MT then tap it with rubber mallet..has worked for me since pluto was a pup..good luck

jleiwig

You are welcome..just just as another thought..I have 2 chucks..one fits the MT very well and does not migrate out..the other will...you may never need a drawbar..I've not had one in 50 yrs of turning...I use a rubber mallet...make sure the chuck is seated well in MT then tap it with rubber mallet..has worked for me since pluto was a pup..good luck

While not quite as experienced (pluto has had gray hair since I've been turning :biggrin:) I have never used a drawbar, I've only had a drill chuck come out of the tailstock once, and that was an operator error, not the fault of the chuck or the morse taper.

Top Bottom