Chuck Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tucker1445

Does anybody out there use a chuck for drilling and or finishing. I was looking at the Baracuda 2 Chuck but cant tell if it will hold stock as small as 5/8". Or are there any economy chucks out there for this application. I like to turn game calls and my inserts are 5/8 bore and will use the chuck to finish the insert before tuning. Any help/insight will be big a big help. Thanks.

Dean

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Pin jaws and a few others go down to about 3/16 in compression.

O'Donnell jaws with inserts hold 5/8 inch

But ER32 collet chucks are the bees knees for holding 5/8 diameter with no marks or potential marrs.

TerryDowning

I use the Barracuda 2 with the pin jaws for squarish stock all the time as long as perfectly centered is not an issue. Put the corners in the gaps between the jaws for best results.

If accuracy and precision are required (Segmented Blanks) then I round the blanks and drill using a collet chuck. Still need to go slow and clear often.

JD Combs Sr

I have used both a scroll chuck and an ER32 chuck for both and am gravitating more and more to the ER32. I will round the blank down to ~5/8 or 11/16 between centers then use the appropriate collet to hold it for drilling. Mostly use 5/8 collet. Made a 60* dead center that fits the 5/8 collet and also some finishing bushings that fit the 5/8. Will be making a 5/8" spur center too then won't have to remove the ER32 chuck.

Last edited:

areaman

I use a barracuda chuck and actually prefer the blank not be round for drilling.
If it is then yes the pin jaws work well.

Tucker1445

Thanks for the input. I went with an economy chuck from PSI. Just getting started so want to make sure this route would work for me.

Top Bottom