Christmas gifts for the Grandmas!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drb007

Drb007

My daughter is somehow keeping up with all of her Christmas orders and still making neat gifts for family...this year she found the new rolling pin kits at Woodcraft and wanted to try them. Not a cheap gift. I think she has about $100 in materials for the two she made, but man did they turn out nicely!

I really like the idea she had to put the hand forged nail in the live center divot to avoid sanding:)

The kits are really quite nice, though I would consider getting the predrilled rolling pin blanks next time...that's a long hole to get right!!

The big one a maple body and ebony handles. The other is cherry with bloodwood handles.

Attachments

• rolling pin.jpg
    rolling pin.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 198
  • rolling pin2.jpg
    rolling pin2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 172
  • rolling pin end.jpg
    rolling pin end.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 177
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Nicely done!

The hole goes all the way through the 'rolling blank'? I was always thinking that they were only 'so deep'.... Might need to scratch this project off my 'tuit list'...no matter how 'sweet' yours are.

Scott (what are the timbers used) B

Drb007

Scott,
Yes, the hole goes all the way through the rolling pin body, and just so far into the handles. I didn't have to glue the handles on as they were pretty tight. Woodcraft does have predrilled blanks for the body...they even drill the recessed end for the bearings. Its a nice kit.

As mentioned, the big pin is maple and ebony, the other cherry and bloodwood.

nava1uni

I make them and have been for a while. I buy the bearings at a bearing store for $4.50 a piece and use a lamp auger to drill the hole, use a piece of 1/4" for the bar. Relatively easy to make and they do make nice presents. I also make french rolling pins in different sizes. Pastry chefs like them a lot.

nava1uni

Her pins are really nice. I find the kits are rather expensive, especially to make and sell. I make them and have been for a while. I buy the bearings at a bearing store for $4.50 each and use a lamp auger to drill the hole, use a piece of 1/4" steel for the bar to attache the handles. Relatively easy to make and they do make nice presents. You can also make them without drilling a hole all the way through. Just drill a whole on each side to accommodate the handles and don't drive them all the way into the pin so they move easily. I also make french rolling pins in different sizes. Pastry chefs like french pins a lot for making pie dough and filo since they don't leave marks on the dough.

Top Bottom