cholla cactus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

I just got some 3/4" cholla cactus from Mesa, Az off ebay. I want to cast it. It fits in my molds but what kind of prep do I need to do to the wood? It's very gray looking and hasn't even been hosed off far as I can tell. Do I need to powerwash it? Clean it in a bucket with a soft brush? Sand it up a little bit on a disk? I'm not sure where to start and I couldn't find a tutorial. Any help would be appreciated. Casting in PR.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Under that grey exterior is a light tan interior -- Depending on how long it laid on the ground, it may have some of those thorns on it still -- and may have a few crawlies inside. If rotted, it turns black (or at least the pile on the patio did.)

What do you want to see -- grey or tan or a mix??

The interior is generally hollow but probably needs to be brushed out or drilled out.

You going to just fill the holes, or will it be cast in Polyester Resin??

I like to put the tubes in with epoxy and I like to use painted or plated tubes.

Lots of design options --- where do You want to take it???

PTownSubbie

Scott,

I use a Dremel with a long drill looking bit that is a cutter on it. I clean each of the openings slightly just to take off the outer layer. I don't want to change the natural look at all. Then I use my compressor and blow out the openings and the inside of the cactus as much as possible. Once I am satisfied that there is no more loose stuff, I cast it in PR.

One note for you, make sure you put PR well over the top because if you don't, it shrinks and will expose some of the skeleton on the top of what is cast and you will have to double cast..... After cast, it will likely not be symetrical so I center it between centers and turn it round before I drill it on the lathe with my collet chuck.

sgimbel

I was going to cast the whole piece and the tube it later. I figured turning it, it would clean up to the light tan I have seen here. I'll probably cast some and drill and inlay others. First it will be a straight 6" cast. I've never worked with it before.

PTownSubbie

I was going to cast the whole piece and the tube it later. I figured turning it, it would clean up to the light tan I have seen here. I'll probably cast some and drill and inlay others. First it will be a straight 6" cast. I've never worked with it before.

Agreed. However, after it is cast find the center of the skeleton on each side. Use these center points and turn it round around these center points. Then drill and tube it just like any other kit.

randywa

It may be a crazy idea,but, if you have access to a small sand blaster that may do the trick. I have a 40# from HF that if you turn the outlet pressure down and use a small nozzle, it cleans wood really nice. After blasting I use high pressure air to clean it. Just a thought.

KenV

Randy -- this stuff i have is more like balsa than wood --- It is sturdy to handle but not particularly strong.

I would pass on the sand blast -- brushing is good to clean the outside and a hand appliced wire brush gets much/most of the grey off the stuff have here.

Top Bottom