Chinese Laser Engraver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

Got mine a couple weeks ago and I was surprised, it did a good job on wood with one pass. Best quality on my pens for names etc seemed to be on the totally finished pen with my CA finish. Decided to try some other materials. Antler did well then I tried some white corian I had. Never touched it, covered the area with red, green and black marker same result with each. Tried a yellow highlighter and got it to burn, not deeply and needed 4-5 passes to get any depth but it did work. Tried some PR with black sharpie over the area I wanted to burn. Again a few passes re applying the sharpie after each pass and I got a reasonable result. Next was some truestone, white mother of pearl and white with gold matrix. Using the sharpie and several passes I got a reasonable result. Also tried some shredded money blanks that I got from Bellsy I think he uses alumilite but not sure. Built my own rotator jig that seems to work well and ordered a couple spare laser diodes as when this one does fail I probably won't be able to find them.

Attachments

• truestone.png
    truestone.png
    504.2 KB · Views: 319

mmayo

chartle

mmayo

Ok I admit it has taken me a LONG time, but I made it

These are called triple Tehachapi as they are made with oak wood I harvested in Tehachapi, they are made in Tehachapi and have Tehachapi laser engraved on them. I have had numerous requests for them from customers and artists that work in the Gallery N Gifts and tomorrow they go on sale for $35 each.

10D7898F-1BDC-421A-A957-09F4EF39E9BA_zpsb7hacfgx.jpg

I used a laptop with Windows 10 using a 500x100 jpg file created in photoshop along with a $79 laser engraver I read about on this thread.

Thank you mecompco!!!

Last edited:

mmayo

Mark, you're welcome! Those pens look great--I think $35 is way too cheap--those ought to pull $49.95 all day long. Just MHO--perhaps that's all your venue will support.

Regards,
Michael

If they sell quickly, I'll gladly adjust my price up. Thanks again.

NLAlston

So, yes, my order has been put through at a cost of $67.54 (free shipping).

did you get it from GEARBEST? If you did and its this one you can get it shipped from the Los Angeles US Warehouse.

NEJE DK-8-KZ 1000mW Laser Engraver Printer-62.60 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Ordering it from LA is also a little cheaper and I got it in 7 real days. See if you can cancel that order and re order it.

Hey, Cliff - I am so glad that I found this reply from you, again. I just started a thread on how to select a shipping option, at GearBest. I want to order another laser engraving unit, and couldn't see how to make such a selection. Clicking on that link, in your reply, does show thar shipping option, but I've been trying to find it for other items. I want another engraver, but was thinking of getting one of their 'rail system' units with, maybe, a bit more power. At the very least, though, I'll just get another one like the one I already have.

Last edited:

chartle

So, yes, my order has been put through at a cost of $67.54 (free shipping).

did you get it from GEARBEST? If you did and its this one you can get it shipped from the Los Angeles US Warehouse.

NEJE DK-8-KZ 1000mW Laser Engraver Printer-62.60 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Ordering it from LA is also a little cheaper and I got it in 7 real days. See if you can cancel that order and re order it.

Hey, Cliff - I am so glad that I found this reply from you, again. I just started a thread on how to select a shipping option, at GearBest. I want to order another laser engraving unit, and couldn't see how to make such a selection. Clicking on that link, in your reply, does show thar shipping option, but I've been trying to find it for other items. I want another engraver, but was thinking of getting one of their 'rail system' units with, maybe, a bit more power. At the very least, though, I'll just get another one like the one I already have.

I'm on my phone so hard to show you but for this item you can see two shipping options China and US LA.

Not all items are at the US warehouse only things they think they will sell a lot. Ussually it costs a bit more do to how postage works But sometimes less if they stock stuff that doesn't sell.

One other issue those up in the great north, as far as I can tell, can't order from the US warehouse. Probably customs issues.

Last edited:

chartle

NLAlston

Cliff, thanks a lot.

The last time I visited GearBest (last night) I DD happen to see what you were talking about. I saw the flag/flags beneath each pictured device, which denoted from where it was - or could be - shipped from. What kinda threw me was in thinking that the option would have been available for ALL of their offerings. It turns out, however, that (if I remember correctly) that the shipping option was only available for two of their engravers.

Yes, I had wanted one of their 'rail system' engravers, and had desired one with a fair bit more oomph to it. At the very least, I would have gotten one quite similar to the one I already have - which would have been their 1500mW engraver, that would have been 500mW more than what mine is.

But I went ahead and ordered another 1000mW NeJe. Al least I would have a spare, on hand. If one of the laser modules happened to go bad, I wouldn't have to wait for the time involved to order another, and have it shipped to me - to continue with my projects.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Been thinking about getting one of the 40w units myself but wondering if there any great advantage to a 40w unit vs one of the 1000 or 1500mw units.

chartle

Cliff, thanks a lot.

The last time I visited GearBest (last night) I DD happen to see what you were talking about. I saw the flag/flags beneath each pictured device, which denoted from where it was - or could be - shipped from. What kinda threw me was in thinking that the option would have been available for ALL of their offerings. It turns out, however, that (if I remember correctly) that the shipping option was only available for two of their engravers.

Yes, I had wanted one of their 'rail system' engravers, and had desired one with a fair bit more oomph to it. At the very least, I would have gotten one quite similar to the one I already have - which would have been their 1500mW engraver, that would have been 500mW more than what mine is.

But I went ahead and ordered another 1000mW NeJe. Al least I would have a spare, on hand. If one of the laser modules happened to go bad, I wouldn't have to wait for the time involved to order another, and have it shipped to me - to continue with my projects.

Just the laser diodes are available on Amazon from domestic suppliers. I found a few even before I got my unit.

hanau

NLAlston

[/QUOTE]

Just the laser diodes are available on Amazon from domestic suppliers. I found a few even before I got my unit.[/QUOTE]

Now THAT is very refreshing.

One question, though, Cliff: do you know whether or not higher laser diodes can be purchased, and operated from these units? I'm wondering if the higher power would rest within the diodes, themselves, or if there would be reliance on other components (to be upgraded) of the device.

Was just wondering :).

duncsuss

do you know whether or not higher laser diodes can be purchased, and operated from these units? I'm wondering if the higher power would rest within the diodes, themselves, or if there would be reliance on other components (to be upgraded) of the device.

Higher power means higher current (amps).

It's almost certain that the rest of the electronic components in the circuit will be unable to deliver the additional current needed to drive a higher current through the laser diode.

So -- best case, you'd install an expensive laser diode rated at 40W and you'd be driving it at 1W or 1.5W (1000mW or 1500mW). Like having a Ferrari but never pushing the gas pedal beyond the first quarter inch.

NLAlston

do you know whether or not higher laser diodes can be purchased, and operated from these units? I'm wondering if the higher power would rest within the diodes, themselves, or if there would be reliance on other components (to be upgraded) of the device.

It's almost certain that the rest of the electronic components in the circuit will be unable to deliver the additional current needed to drive a higher current through the laser diode.

So -- best case, you'd install an expensive laser diode rated at 40W and you'd be driving it at 1W or 1.5W (1000mW or 1500mW). Like having a Ferrari but never pushing the gas pedal beyond the first quarter inch.

Well, I wasn't thinking of going anywhere even near that high :).

I had just wondered whether, maybe, a 1500mW, 2500mW, or slightly stronger, could be used in the same 1000mW engraver. I mean, if my laser module burned out, it would be nice to upgrade same to a bit stronger module.

Wishful thinking, I know :).

NLAlston

Well, I wasn't thinking of going anywhere even near that high :).

I had just wondered whether, maybe, a 1500mW, 2500mW, or slightly stronger, could be used in the same 1000mW engraver. I mean, if my laser module burned out, it would be nice to upgrade same to a bit stronger module.

Wishful thinking, I know :).

I just re-read your reply, again - but under much more wakeful eyes :). And you seemed to have Made it more clear as to why something like that wouldn't work.

Thanks,

duncsuss

There is a good possibility that the actual laser LED in your 1000mW unit could be replaced with a 1500mW or 2000mW component.

Typically it does not require a higher voltage to drive an LED rated for 2000mW(*) at the same intensity as one rated for 1000mW -- you simply get 1000mW out of it if that's what your circuit board is designed to deliver.

What it would do for you is reduce the probability of the LED burning out a second time, since it would not be driven at close to its maximum power rating.

Note (*): I believe this is not universally true, though -- significantly higher powered LEDs might not start to output light if the current is below a certain threshhold value

NLAlston

There is a good possibility that the actual laser LED in your 1000mW unit could be replaced with a 1500mW or 2000mW component.

Typically it does not require a higher voltage to drive an LED rated for 2000mW(*) at the same intensity as one rated for 1000mW -- you simply get 1000mW out of it if that's what your circuit board is designed to deliver.

What it would do for you is reduce the probability of the LED burning out a second time, since it would not be driven at close to its maximum power rating.

Note (*): I believe this is not universally true, though -- significantly higher powered LEDs might not start to output light if the current is below a certain threshhold value

Thanks, Duncan.

PMBROTH.NY

Last edited:

TonyL

Well, the inevitable happened. The laser apparently burned-out. I always used a fan. It moved across the blank as if it was engraving and stopped burning. I will look through the thread to see which one folks are using to replace it. Does anyone know of a better quality laser diode (?) that is compatible with the Neje 1000mw housing?

Thanks!

NLAlston

Well, the inevitable happened. The laser apparently burned-out. I always used a fan. It moved across the blank as if it was engraving and stopped burning. I will look through the thread to see which one folks are using to replace it. Does anyone know of a better quality laser diode (?) that is compatible with the Neje 1000mw housing?

Thanks!

I'm watching this, too.

Last edited:

TonyL

I have sold two pens with engraving on it. I did have to go through two blanks in order to get it right. For some reason the engraver was off-setting the first row of pixels. This only happened on the first burn. Not sure if I should be concerned or not. This is another reason why I have numerous "test" blanks turned for various sized pens.

Mine laser (the part that does the burning) died after about 25 engravings (all but two were fan cooled). My experience may be a one-off.

wood-of-1kind

I have sold two pens with engraving on it. I did have to go through two blanks in order to get it right. For some reason the engraver was off-setting the first row of pixels. This only happened on the first burn. Not sure if I should be concerned or not. This is another reason why I have numerous "test" blanks turned for various sized pens.

Mine laser (the part that does the burning) died after about 25 engravings (all but two were fan cooled). My experience may be a one-off.

I am at about 200+ engravings on the NEJE and so far so good. A fan is not used and am now wondering if it really does extend the life or not. This has been my experience so far and I am still very happy with the performance of this $100 machine.:)

TonyL

I am going to try replacing the USB cables as someone from an earlier post suggested. The light/laser still illuminates. It just doesn't get hot enough to burn the wood. I also removed the back and checked the connection; they were all secure. If that doesn't work. I will buy another one.

aggie182

Random question. I scanned through this thread and saw the answer go both ways. Do you prefer to laser engrave before or after CA finish? I have a guy that was a bunch of bolt actions, then he wanted to have them laser engraved with his company logo. Should I turn the wood, sand it, then send it to him to laser engrave before I finish and press? Or should I finish the pen and give him the completed, finished pen?

Also, do certain woods take the laser better than others? I'd imagine if the wood is too dark, the result would not be desirable. Any certain woods to stay away from?

keithncsu

I typically do it pre-finish as well but have tried post CA and got it to work. I think burn time was like 70+.

As far as woods that resist burning I haven't come across any. Of course as you mentioned it's mostly a color/darkness issue. Unless you plan to fill in with colored powders or paint. Then it wouldn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick_G

I seem to get my cleanest burns on my CA finished wood with a burn time of about 70. Whenever I tried unfinished wood the smoky residue around the burn rubbed into the wood and made a mess while with the finished wood it wiped right off.

I also picked up 3 spare laser diodes at $19 each. I figure if the original lasts a year or two I would likely not be able to find spares then and they won't go bad sitting on my shelf.

Last edited:

chartle

Also, do certain woods take the laser better than others? I'd imagine if the wood is too dark, the result would not be desirable. Any certain woods to stay away from?

In my tests I used what I had on hand Maple and Red Oak. Maple came out better because of the tighter grain.

mmayo

Finally managed to tweak Windows to show the entire engraving program on MY screen. Sanding sealer, engrave using 80 (too much for yellow heart), six coats of WTF (Woodcraft), sand with 1000 grit, buff using Beale System.

05941A6C-DA41-4EC2-9FDF-7D1D81E26916_zpsow0sdcdx.jpg

ACC44595-8CF9-4A01-AF78-A6919040C4A1_zpsv4bhacrz.jpg

My take = very glossy non- CA finish. No fumes.

Last edited:

KB8JXO

OK, you talked me into it

I spent three hours yesterday reading this entire thread, then broke down and order a 1000mw NEJE, and a spare diode unit. A lot of information to be had from everyone else from their experience. Now to find a USB powered fan.

Thanks everyone for filling my brain with ideas.

keithncsu

I spent three hours yesterday reading this entire thread, then broke down and order a 1000mw NEJE, and a spare diode unit. A lot of information to be had from everyone else from their experience. Now to find a USB powered fan.

Thanks everyone for filling my brain with ideas.

I got my fan off Amazon for like $15. Nearly the exact same size as the perimeter of the laser frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leehljp

Member Liaison
I ordered the 1500mw today from eBay. They do run about $20 - $30 more than the 1000mw. I did pay for the ones shipped from within the US to get it faster.

Top Bottom