Cherry Bowl and Maple Rolling Pin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from reefboy1

reefboy1

Hi all,

I worked on a couple things last weekend that I'd thought I'd share (since there hasn't been much traffic here lately).

There's a cherry crotch bowl on the left. I turned this wet originally last year and left it to dry. It was fun to do the final turning and sanding - I really love the look of the grain. Finished with walnut oil.

I also glued this Maple and mystery wood (from Jay) rolling pin. It was really alot of fun to get the thing glued up correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick Mahany

Beautiful

Super nice job on the rolling pin glue up, turned out sweet. The cherry is gorgeous also. I have only recently begun turning cherry for some Soren Berger style scoops. That wood is becomng one of my favorites but it can be tricky. I have noticed the heat checks can develop quickly when sanding but yours looks perfect!

BTW, after our fun meeting last month, I'm going to turn one of those salt bowls with the magnetic catch and hidden hinge. Just hope it turns out as good as the one you guys have done!

Last edited:

reefboy1

Ah, I didn't realize the picture was so huge. Not sure what I did differently to make that happen. Normally my pics are so small...

Thanks Dick - I love cherry as well. That's my second cherry bowl...now I need to haunt ebay to get another blank.

Art

Dick Mahany

Art,

I've had great luck with cherry from NC Woods. They have an Ebay and Web store and very reasonable prices IMO. He's in North Carolina, but often cuts his blanks to fit in USPS flat rate boxes and typically ships next day. Wish we had it locally, but have never been able to find it.

Dick Mahany

Thanks Cindy. Russ and company at Global Wood Source are typically where I go. I'll have to look again as it's been a few months. They do have a LOT of beautiful stuff although the last time I was there they didn't have cherry, box elder or holly, so I settled for some nice maple and buck eye. My wallet always cringes when I go there !

Fishinbo

Beautiful bowl and rolling pin! Like the grain on that cherry and the wood combo on the rolling pin. The finish really sets it off. Great turning!

reefboy1

Beautiful work! Have to ask- how does a person looking at the bowl know it's crotch and not a burl? Does the grain "meet", rather than swirl?

Kayta - it's not really apparent that it's a crotch peice but I can tell :)

Thanks for the comments all.

Art

Top Bottom