Checking in from Northern Virginia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tdsmart

Leesburg, VA actually, about 50 miles west of DC. Found this site when researching how to fix some of my pen making "issues". Been playing at pen making for about a year, on and off as time allows. I now have a bowl full of experiments and figure it is about time to do something with them besides passing them on to my relatives on their special days (I think my daughters have enough writing utensils for the rest of their lives). I have been learning things the hard way, through trial and error, but I have already eliminated some of the error by taking the lessons learned from this generous community.

Some general information - I retired from the Army in '97 after bumping around the world (mostly Germany and other places with tanks) for 23 years. Landed here in Northern VA (the Pentagon really). Worked another 13 years as a defense contractor and "retired" from that 2 years ago. A partner and I started a consulting company and that's what I am supposed to be doing, not pen making. But pen making is much more fun and I'd rather be in the basement making sawdust and plastic shavings.

Attached is my first venture into fancy stuff, but while taking the picture I noticed that I have cracked the cap when putting on the finial. Another of my trial and error learning experiences.

Thanks to all those who have created this community, contribute to it and manage it.

For those of you in NJ and NY who are struggling with the devastation of Sandy, my thoughts are with you. I grew up on the Jersey shore.

Attachments

• Churchill Fountain Pen 2.jpg
    Churchill Fountain Pen 2.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 138
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gilrock

Did you make all the components in that pen? Cause it looks pretty awesome to be the first thing shown after joining here. :)

BTW - You should post the pen photo over in the Show Off Your Pen section. Not everyone looks at the posts in this forum.

Last edited:

tdsmart

Did you make all the components in that pen? Cause it looks pretty awesome to be the first thing shown after joining here. :)

BTW - You should post the pen photo over in the Show Off Your Pen section. Not everyone looks at the posts in this forum.

Wish I could say that I made the bits and pieces, but I'm several years and many tools away from being able to accomplish that. It is a Churchill kit pen.

OOPS

Another Greeting from Washington State. Here's something that I learned from Barry Gross' Acrylic Pen Turning Video. He said that the ends of acrylic blanks are very brittle and can crack easily during assembly, especially if you try to force the pieces in at an angle (not good with any kind of blank, but we've all done it) Anyway, he strongly advised purchasing a chamfer tool to ease the assembly of acrylic pens. I purchased a chamfer tool from Ariz. Silhouette and it really helps with assembly, and especially reduces the number of problem kits that I used to have to wrestle with. I bought the chamfer tool several years ago, and just recently Barry Gross purchased Ariz. Silhouette. I am not trying to encourage a sale, just telling you that for me, it works. And with the cost of acrylic blanks sometimes eye poppingly high, you don't want to lose one.

Glad to have you on the site.

tdsmart

Another Greeting from Washington State. Here's something that I learned from Barry Gross' Acrylic Pen Turning Video. He said that the ends of acrylic blanks are very brittle and can crack easily during assembly, especially if you try to force the pieces in at an angle (not good with any kind of blank, but we've all done it) Anyway, he strongly advised purchasing a chamfer tool to ease the assembly of acrylic pens. I purchased a chamfer tool from Ariz. Silhouette and it really helps with assembly, and especially reduces the number of problem kits that I used to have to wrestle with. I bought the chamfer tool several years ago, and just recently Barry Gross purchased Ariz. Silhouette. I am not trying to encourage a sale, just telling you that for me, it works. And with the cost of acrylic blanks sometimes eye poppingly high, you don't want to lose one.

Glad to have you on the site.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I do, in fact, have a chamfer tool (from Arizona Silhouette) and used it on this. I took the pen apart and think the problem actually was a repair I made when turning. I piece of the blank did chunk off the end when I was turning it. I was able to find it and CA it back on. I'm guessing that area was still weak.

Top Bottom