Changing Nibs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

I made my wife a Junior Gent Fountain pen and she's interested in changing the nib. She'd like a wider bolder one. Since we've never ventured into changing nibs I'm wondering if anyone would have an recommendations on which nib we could start with? I also have an Atrax pen that we could change out the nib in if that would be an easier kit to work with. Thanks for your help.

Bope

The Jr. Gent is a #5 Jowo medium nib. If you want something bolder then get a broad tip or you could try a flex nib. I have liked the nibs from Pen Realm, select his free tuning. I have also used Goulet branded and Edison nibs from Goulet Pens. Not sure the size of the Atrax nib. If it looks larger than the Jr nib then it is a #6 Jowo. If it looks the same size it is a #5. The nib size will not change the line width. Have fun, you are heading down the rabbit hole of fountain pens. You can also try stub and italic nibs. Steel nibs are not that expensive so get several and try them.

d_bondi

The Jr. Gent is a #5 Jowo medium nib. If you want something bolder then get a broad tip or you could try a flex nib. I have liked the nibs from Pen Realm, select his free tuning. I have also used Goulet branded and Edison nibs from Goulet Pens. Not sure the size of the Atrax nib. If it looks larger than the Jr nib then it is a #6 Jowo. If it looks the same size it is a #5. The nib size will not change the line width. Have fun, you are heading down the rabbit hole of fountain pens. You can also try stub and italic nibs. Steel nibs are not that expensive so get several and try them.

The Atrax is a #5 size nib, I have two of them sitting on my desk right now.
It is not a Schmidt, I have a few Schmidt #5 and the housing threads don't match up.

I suppose it could be a Bock or Jowo, but I don't know as I don't have any of their #5 size nibs to compare to.

I agree Eric (@Bope) either way, give Kirk Speer at Pen Realm a try. Go to the Contact tab and send him a note.

Curly

You can also look at Bock nibs that Beaufort Ink sell. They are one of the few sellers that can offer the nib with a kit comparable housing allowing you to switch them over easily. He also has a wide range of nib materials, finishes and tip sizes including music nibs. There are a few companies here that sell some of the same but they don't seem to have as many options.

Top Bottom