Hi guys,
welcome back this is my latest work, I hope you like it:

zebrano_money01.jpg

zebrano_money02.jpg

Excuse me if I do't write frequently.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gpgsm

Hi Matthew,
it's a plate where you put the money to pay in a shop, after you get the rest!

I apologize for my bad English

PaulDoug

Your English is fine, probably better than most of us natives to the U.S. We don't use anything like that in the U.S. that I know of. Change is just given from hand to hand. Maybe you could give us some education. What are the light colored sticks for? I find it very interesting. Looks nice.

SDB777

Interesting timber...what kind is it?

So you place the change on the plate instead of exchanging it from hand to hand? The sticks....maybe to hold the folding monies?

Scott (got a nice finish to it) B

gpgsm

Sorry, not rest (false friend) but change :tongue:

The maple sticks are just ornamental: two straight lines on grain!

Drstrangefart

That's some really nice work. I understand in some parts of the world it's considered extremely rude to just hand someone their change without setting it on the table or in something like that first. Is that what's going on with this one?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That's some really nice work. I understand in some parts of the world it's considered extremely rude to just hand someone their change without setting it on the table or in something like that first. Is that what's going on with this one?

Yep, bang on. Most places in Europe use a small tray or even a saucer that your bill get presented on. A smart place would have nice ones like this. You would then leave your tip and the waiter would normally take it after you leave. No embarrasment either way.
Unlike USA, a tip is not mandatory. It's only give for good service and good food. A 'good' tip in UK and many other European countries is around 10%. But even if the total bill is over £100, the tip is very unlikely to be over £10.
There are some places ( mostly in cities ) that try to add on a 'service charge' but you are quite at liberty to tell them to sod off !!:biggrin:

Edit in: LOL, now it's me that is forgetting their manners!!:redface:

Sorry Massimo, that is a very smart 'Tip Tray' :biggrin:

Last edited:

soundman

I know this is an oldish thread, but cash handling is a pet hobby horse of mine.

Seems cash handling in the US is as sloppy as it is here in Australia.
The only place I see good cash handling these days is in the bank.

I think it is possible that lots of people including "cash handling experts" have never seen a good slight of hand operator work.

I have some friends who are professional close up magicians. To anybody with even basic skills of prestidigitation, palming a substituting coins and notes is trivial.

These guys, you could place 3 coins in their hand, they could appear to close their hand and open it again, and there would be 4 or 2 or 3 different coins.

Slight of hand, like most stage magic skills has its origin in crime and fraud.

So good solid cash handling has the money presented in clear open view away from hands.

One person lays the money down, both keep hands away till the cash is clearly seen, the other then picks up.

This is why the bench we serve customers at is called a "counter".

An entirely civilised item, there should be more of them.......I nice block of wood for presenting cash properly.

Bravo

cheers

Last edited:

airborne_r6

^ This is fascinating, I love to learn origins of everyday items and terms. And the Change Rest in the original post is absolutely beautiful.

Top Bottom